Can JSynthLib destroy my SID?!?

SLP

Hi folks,

my MB_SID was working very well for about a month. And just one hour ago I wanted to try JSynthLib to control my MB_SID.

I made some random changes (OSC, ENV,etc) and pushed the "Send" button.

After that my SID started to make some kind of Square wave with a frequency of 2 or 3 Hz. Basically It was just some regular "popping" sound.

I switched my SID on and off, and when I played some of my patches, it made some distorted sounds, the filter went crazy (though it wasn't assigned to any channel), and the sound didn't stop when I released the key.

So I uploaded MIOS and then the SIDV2 app, and it was still the same.

I switched the SID with a new one from Wilba, and it was still the same

I even switched the PIC...and it was still producing some weird distorting sound.

I'll recheck everything tomorrow...but I'm still wondering: Can a SID-chip be destroyed via software (Syx dump) ?

matthias

edit:

I've just tested it again with the initial patches, and it sounds different depending on the engine:

Ld: key pressed: sound (as usual, just a bit quieter) key deperessed: sound keeps going (probably other Pulsewidth, just as loud as when the key is pressed)

Ml: just distorted, seems that the first instrument does not always work. the sound stops when the keys are released

Bs: works, but really quiet

Dr: some work, some don't, some keep repeating even when the key is released, distorted

@mods: feel free to move to the troubleshooting section... I wasn't quite sure where to put it.

I wonder....was this the first time you sent sysex to the device?

The problem sounds like hardware, I can't help but feel that maybe the whole sysex/JSL thing is just a coincidence.... or maybe it somehow triggered a short, that broke something else...

Is it the same sound on all the SIDs? Have you tried new opamps?

I wonder....was this the first time you sent sysex to the device?

yep.

Is it the same sound on all the SIDs?

yep.

Have you tried new opamps?

I guess you mean the transistor.

nope.

but I'll try that.

...and I'll record some sound... 'cause that's a really strange one..

dumb dumb dumb dumb...

s185.gif

I used another PSU this time... and it was just a bit to weak.

I didn't notice it the first time, because the Ld init patch sounded just a bit different.

The JSL thing was coincidence.

Now swapped to my old PSU.

Now 13W@12V instead of 12W@12V.

dumb dumb dumb dumb dumb dumb dumb ...