MB808 drum seq standalone

creatorlars

Has anyone built the MB808 seq as a standalone drum sequencer yet?  I'm about to, and was wondering if there were any notes on this... looks pretty straightforward.  I was about to build a simple standalone MIDI-->Trigger converter for my modular drum stuff, and decided that I might as well make it a 2U instead of a 1U panel and make the MB808 seq while I was at it.

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I need to build one myself, but as the weather outside continues to be gorgeous around here.. well the soldering bench has been pretty much unattended...  I've been thinking about building mine using cherry keyswitches to make good use of the live record feature.. but that means a custom PCB (single sided for home etching).. and, again, so long as it's nice out.. I don't feel much like sitting in front of a PC..

(we only get a couple months of decent weather here.. so all this will get done soon enough :))

I need to build one myself, but as the weather outside continues to be gorgeous around here.. well the soldering bench has been pretty much unattended...  I've been thinking about building mine using cherry keyswitches to make good use of the live record feature.. but that means a custom PCB (single sided for home etching).. and, again, so long as it's nice out.. I don't feel much like sitting in front of a PC..

(we only get a couple months of decent weather here.. so all this will get done soon enough :))

moogah i need one for my jomox too, with 16 encoders over the 16 buttons to change the CC on the seq.

i've never approached to the SEQ, i will do soon, any collaboration is welcome :)

• 5 months later...

I am also planing to make CS PCB for MB808 standalone sequencer. I am working on layout in Eagle and have some free space that I`d like to use, but don`t have an idea how. Even it wan`t be used for Divius (MB808) I wanted to have more less the same control arrangement.

3147532774_875f44fc65_o.jpg

Here is how the PCB looks like. (NOTE: a work in progress) It is designed to use 12x12 buttons. The space framed yellow is where I`d like to have some extra controls.

May other 7 analog inputs be easily enabled?

As there are 2 SR left, would it be good idea to have some F buttons or maybe encoders to send volume CC or something?

I really have no idea how to use that space wisely. If I`m programmer I`ll find some cool usage for it, but I`m not. I thought to ad 2x16 LCD there but I don`t find it very useful. MB808 is just fine without it.

Any suggestions appreciated.

3147532782_1a153b6007_b.jpg

I'm planning on a PT-10 with 16 illuminated round step buttons, made of silicone.  The buttons will be arranged in a circle, like that famous analog sequencer guy on Youtube (except with lit rubber buttons instead of pots and toggle switches).  With a 16-step encoder dedicated to the "rotate" function, rotating a musical part will be very fun, as the lit buttons will follow the movements of your hand while it makes crazy changes to the beat.  I've got a roughly designed panel, I've got silicone curing, and I've got a populated Ultracore. 

my plan is a 2HE small standallone Sequencer, it will build with 4 single sided pcbs (in reality 2x DINA4 or other formats must fit.... (which you get with less money, and you can each it by your own...)

But I had made a mistake by planing my PCB I had not think about that the used (I already have 300 of this babys....) DTL switches, that they are build for a 2 LEG Diode, since the Dualcolourmatrix needs 3 Legs Diodes... the design must be changed...the DTL body has already place for 2x2LEG Diodes, I must change the Pads of the DTL Body in Eagle, then It is a little bit "bend" work, to bend the LED in the DTL Body,...you must get the DTL-Cap from the body (easy job), now you bend a leg to a other hole (you have 4 holes there, but only 2 of it you can see with the cap....you must cut a little trace (cut some material) in the body so the Cap has no resistance to the body.... thats the reason I dont build that project until now... the fu**ing 3 Leg leds  >:(

http://www.eight-oh-eight.org/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=229

klopfgeistganz.png

808-front-klein-pcb.png

808-pic-pcb.png

there are 2 core moduls..because I integratet a multimasterclock...since I dont have a idea how to integrat it in MB808 I planed to integrate the hardware in it...because there was space..., and there was space on the frontpanel too.

Here are my latest panel layout. As I left with some unused space on CS PCB, I thought it might be usefull to have dedicated buttons of utility functions. I need to check out the firmware to see what should be configured to use these. The buttons will probably be the one known from x0xb0x and Wilba`s sequencer, but I`m also thinking about using same buttons (just for GP) KokiPsiho used on his Krang Sequencer. I need to buy one of those to check how it fits x0xb0x caps.

3170856171_8933b1f1e3.jpg

BIGGER PIC: Standalone MB808 sequencer

I need some help about configuring dedicated buttons before I continue... I just couldn`t get where, and how to configure the pins to send direct commands. I wanted to have direct access to Utility menu functions: copy/paste/clear track, copy/paste/clear steps, clear pattern and undo.

Can I just add these entries and assign the pins in the SEQ_IO_TABLE_DIN and I`ll have direct access to the Utility sub-menu functions?

SEQ_IO_TABLE_DIN
	;;		Function name		SR#	Pin#
	;; NOTE: the pins of the 16 general purpose buttons are assigned above, search for DEFAULT_GP_DIN_SR_L (and _R)

DIN_ENTRY	 CS_M_UTILS_CopyTrack,		 7,	 0
	DIN_ENTRY	 CS_M_UTILS_PasteTrack,		 7,	 1
	DIN_ENTRY	 CS_M_UTILS_ClearTrack,		 7,	 2

DIN_ENTRY	 CS_M_UTILS_CopySteps,		 7,	 3
	DIN_ENTRY	 CS_M_UTILS_PasteSteps,		 7,	 4
	DIN_ENTRY	 CS_M_UTILS_ClearSteps,		 7,	 5

DIN_ENTRY	 CS_M_UTILS_ClearPattern,		 7,	 6
	DIN_ENTRY	 CS_M_UTILS_Undo,		 	 7,	 7

Yes, for MB808 it will work this way.

For MBSEQ it won't (but the appr. SEQ_BUTTON_* functions are already available)

There will be a minor issue if you access CS_M_UTILS functions directly: the function will be triggered when the button is pressed *and* depressed. However, probably you will never notice this ;)

Best Regards, Thorsten.

Yes, for MB808 it will work this way.

Good. Than, I`m ready to go. :)

For MBSEQ it won't (but the appr. SEQ_BUTTON_* functions are already available)

There will be a minor issue if you access CS_M_UTILS functions directly: the function will be triggered when the button is pressed *and* depressed. However, probably you will never notice this ;)

I wish all issues are like this one. :) As you said... I would probably never notice it.

Thanks for an answer mate.  ;)

That combination of switches looks very nice Sasha!  I've passed over those switches @ mouser a few times in the past because the catalog drawing looked very similar to some cheap-o switches, but I think I'll have to buy a set of them now :)

Thanks moogah. This button arrangement I repeated from my version of MB-808. I think it is clean looking and ergonomic. I just add those 8 utility buttons.

About buttons.. I can recommend those. I would never buy full set of buttons that I never tried. Even some that are known by good quality don`t mean they fits the job. Like those MEC... Even they look good and have great specs I would never use it for any project. I should say... one push worth thousands words and diagrams.  ;)

I remember you already told me about those MECs. What was with that batch? I get silent MECs are not widely available. Anyway, I don`t have any source of  MECs. I just got few samples directly from manufacturer.

I was in a local electronic shop today and I decided not to use DS-661. They are too expensive for me. I will rather laser myself good old illuminated ones. Well, not completely silent and not HQ but at least they look good.

• 3 weeks later...

I`ve received CS PCB yesterday made in by small local manufacturer. It is my first PCB I designed in Eagle that is not DIY. Last one was drawn in Corel Draw. :P Because of that, I needed to drill all holes by hand.

This one is also double layer but with through hole plating but without solder mask. It wasn`t really necessary as the PCB is tinned, but the main reason was that prototyping price ... It would be almost doubled. I can live with nice cheap DIY protection with Plastik spray.  :)

3258889382_bb62fde307.jpg

I added these resistors for LEDs in last minute as I wanted to make another PCB for stacking underneath containing the rest of electronics. It wan`t happen yet, but that is the plan.

3258893410_e9a53b7886.jpg

The sequencer wan`t be so standalone as I initially planed, I`ll make another one later. This one will be part of Project 9090 (TR-909 clone) by Trevor Page.

3258061927_49cb5a1212.jpg

This is the design. It suffers minor changes on a daily level but nothing radical. 

3205046326_3c63bced8a.jpg

And this is the variant with display. Not sure do I wan`t it, but it might add some coollness.  ;)

3205046328_a7c5155d46.jpg

And, this is one of three, very pretty PCBs of 9090.  :)

The project is almost complete. I`m missing some more parts but I`ll probably get it soon.

3215304471_0399c2260f.jpg

Sorry if I went bit offtopic. I initially designed this CS for standalone sequencer, but my 9090 needs it now badly.

Thanks Michael. The PCB is double layer thus not suitable for self etching. If enough people are interested and if somebody living in normal country would like to run a batch... I`m here.  ;)

I can`t run another batch from Serbia... I had so much troubles with local customs about x0xb0x PCBs so I was forced to search for some alternative that turned into disaster.