SID 6581 & SID 8580 in the same Midibox SID V2...Possible?

SaMSeMiLia

Hi. We are building a Midibox SID V2, too. But i have a few questions.  ::)

The "HardSID 4u" ( www.hardsid.com ) can handle both versions of the SID and i would like to know if the Midibox SID V2 can do this, too. And i want to know if this is useful to use different versions of the SID. Can there be any problems beside the voltage difference?

Sorry for my bad english and thank u for helping us.  8)

Samy

I'm probably not the best person to anser this as I haven't got a working SID yet, but...

I''m quite sure that you need to use different filter caps, this has been covered on the forum and Ucapps, read here http://ucapps.de/mbhp_sid.html

"470 pF caps for 6581, 22nF caps for 8580" are the suggested values

There's also some information and links on there with regards to the power supply which you may find useful.

G

Hehe...first of all i want to thank you for the very fast replys.

By the Way...my Nick is lent from a german rapper. His Name is Sam. And "Sinsemilla" means Weed without Seeds.

Yes i already know about the voltage differences and about the different filter caps, too. By the way...we were suprised by these strange Styroflex Caps which are used for this.

We've bought the SID Module Kit from http://www.avishowtech.com and there are 2 types of Styroflex caps. But we have not a glue which we should use, cause we cant figure out which value in Farat they have.

There are two Values in Joule? & Volt (5800J / 50V) & on the other (470J 50V) ,but no Value in Farat. How can i convert or even read this? I can guess that the 470J is the one with 470pF, but i want to be sure.

Best regards,

Samy

"Samsemillia am Mikrofon ich repräsentier das Team, egal wen, alle MCs die da steh'n..." ;-)

1) The letters on the caps are the tolerance (and voltage rating). 5% in this case: http://www.arar93.dsl.pipex.com/mds975/Content/components01.html

2) Capacitor value "code" works like this: the 1st number is the 1st digit, the 2nd number is the 2nd digit, the 3rd number is the number of zeros to give the capacitance in pF. See http://www.kpsec.freeuk.com/components/capac.htm

3) Capacitor values are always given in Farads ;-) Or µ-Farads, or pic-Farads, ... but always in Farads.

...meine Lunge sieht vom ganzen Rauch schon aus wie ne Rosine

...und durch die Nonstop Routine

...die Augen Rot wie Rubine... ;)

Now i understand.  :o Thx for the links...

But i can´t understand why the People from http://www.avishowtech.com sent us 2x 5800pF StyroflexCaps instead of 22uF StyroflexCaps with the SID Kit ...

The 470J's are the right ones for the SID 6581, but it cannot use the 5800J's for the SID 8580, right?!

So we have to order the right ones i guess....

It's all a bit strange!

If you go to the info about the SID module page on SmashTV's site the notes say this

Note 3: The C64's in the grey surface may contain a newer SID (8580) which has to be

supplied with 9V instead of 12V --- in this case you have to use a 7809 instead of 7812!!!

And you have to replace the C1/C2 caps (470pF) by 6,8nF caps!

Which contradicts the Ucapps SID info

470 pF caps for 6581, 22nF caps for 8580

Can anybody with a little more knowledge clarify this?

G

***Samy hangs his head in shame, too  ::)***

Damn....after a short search i´ve found a few Threats about this. I´ve  just searched for the value 6,8nF (its 6800J, not 5800J) & 22nF and i had success.

They recommend the 22nF Caps instead of the 6,8nF because 22nF will give a better frequency range with less stepping at the low end.

...so we will order these...

Thank u for the help everybody...

I wouldn`t recommend mixing stereo-pairs...I´ve done that (only one 6581 & one 8580 as pair in my V2) and it limits the 8580 to the capabilities of the 6581...this renders some patches unusable...I will get another 8580 soon, to sort this out...

• 2 weeks later...

Don't blame me if this makes the universe implode but, I'm pretty sure you have to use the 6581 hex, because the 8580 hex has extra features that would make the 6581 chip malfunction.

Only difference is the default calibration value for the filters (which you can change in the ensemble later. For each channel seperately if required)

So - yes, a single core can ontrol 8580 and 6581, and there are different possibilities

For example:

L: 8580, R: 8580 (especially useful for filtered stereo leads and basslines)

L: 6581, R: 6581 (for vintage fans and old .sid file playback)

L: 8580, R: 6581 (download the setup_8580.hex, and change the calibration MAX value of right channel from 600 to FFF)

L: 8580 and 6581, R: 8580 and 6581: left/right channel SIDs will get the same values, but mixed waveforms and filters will sound different between 6581/8580

You could add a audio switch (or audio channel mutes) to mute 6581/8580

You could use different ensembles to switch between the filter calibration values (up to 128 ensembles are available)

Other obvious combinations are not listed.

(e.g. using multiple cores, or using 8580/6581 only on the left channel)

8580 can be replaced by a 6582 - there is no real difference.

The preset bank is adjusted for 8580/6582 with 22 nF styroflex caps

Best Regards, Thorsten.