How to test encoders

Shum

I ordered a batch of 20 encoders from SmachTV, and installed them according to the schematic as shown in the SID V2 CS DIN map. Loaded the core with midibox_sid_v2_0_rc25 - 8580 SID application. Most of the encoders work, but some did not work. I spent lot of time troubleshooting the core, the sid module and the Din board. They are fine. I then swap SR and pin around with working encoders and found that the problem was in the encoder itself.

Is there a way to test the endcoders prior to their installation. If so it would save much time in troubleshooting.

Thanks

Shum

Ouch! You could test them with an LED and resistor like a pair of normal switches I guess...

It's extremely unusual that you got a number of dead ones from smash. Heck, to get even one would be unusual, but several in one box says to me that one of two things happened: The package was damaged in transit (got wet/crushed), or, you fried them when you soldered them in.

Something out-of-the-ordinary definitely happened to them all......

HI,

When the package arrived, I emailed Smash to inform him that the package was delivered in good condition. I used the same 15 watt soldering iron to solder all other components without problem. I did not know I could damage the encoders when soldering them in. Anyway I wired up a jig as shown in the attached diagram to test the encoder. The rotation of the shaft either to the rignt or left will cause the LED to flicker. I found 3 encoders with shafts that were slight lose. Under the test, when one touches the shaft the LED flickers thereby giving rise to intermitten problem. The problem could be that of the wipers inside the encoder. I will try to open them up and do the repair. This is a small matter and no claim willl be made.

Regards

Shum

encoder.JPG

I did not know I could damage the encoders when soldering them in.

I found 3 encoders with shafts that were slight lose.

That's not your soldering, that'll be a package that was dropped/crushed by the post man :( I hope you can fix them up! I'm sure smash will help out wherever he can and should, even thogh obviously this is not your fault or his.