Using OPTICAL MOUSE SENSORS instead of encoders for JOG WHEELS

TexZK

Hi all!

I've had an idea about getting rid of (almost) all those rotary encoders and their design "troubles" for big jog wheels: using optical mouse encoders.

I don't know if they're fast enough to handle such "hi-speed" data, but I think their design solution would be much easier than with encoders. Just place the sensor under the wheel, then sample data via, say, a SPI bus from the main MCU. With even 400 dpi, you would get MUCH more accurate measurements than with a, for example, 256-steps optical rotary encoder.

Interfacing such chips trough a high-speed MCU/DSP (PIC18K or dsPIC33, both available also as 28-pin DIP), it would be possible to get VERY high performance wheels.

Can anyone try this out? I'm not an experienced hardware designer/programmer, even if I'm not a "totally n00b", so if someone could support this idea the WHOLE community would be happy  ;)

I've found some interesting chips at Avago Tech laser/optical mouse sensors page such as:

http://www.avagotech.com/pages/en/navigation_interface_solutions/navigation_sensors/laserstream/adns-6010/

which already includes a SPI port for direct reading. The datasheet also looks very complete and with good design examples.

I hope there will be an official MIDIbox module using this technology!!!