Cheap SBlive ADC for 4 inputs!

uclaros

I have to try to get those ADAT chip, the AL1401 and the AL1402.

I can send you a AL1401 if need be :) also a AL1101 adc, to see if that works if ya want...:)

Yipeee! so ADAT is a go'er!! :D

What a mod this is turnin out to be :D

Best

Dan

BTW: As adat is sorted (touch wood ;p), would s/mux capability be possible? which would allow 4 chans of 24/96 audio :)

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You guys never cease to amaze me, with all your soundcard hacks... transforming one of the least into one of the best!!

Once you have finished your hacks, you will have some mighty fine pieces of audio gear!! good luck!! ;)

BTW, I am using an old inca88 soundcard, 8in/8out, with direct monitoring facility, works well with logic 5 ;D It is fairly good value for money, but at 16bits, it is tricky to get good dynamic range without clipping!!

I have a total of 5 soundcards in my PC! :P just because I had some spare cards around, and needed the midiports! ;) (but the onboard s/c dosen't work :'(, I gave up trying to get it functioning with all the others after 2 days trying! >:( oh well! ::))

This is amazing.

I started looking into all this almost a year ago, but due to my limited digital electronics experience, I couldn't follow it up too much.

I did get to the point of scheming about connecting those Alesis chips via I2C to a soundblaster, but I was in so far over my head I gave up.

I got as far as building a TTL to CMOS level converter for getting coax spdif from my DAT deck into the SB via the digital CD inputs, but I think the design I was using was a bit flawed, as it burns out the chips real quick. Never figured out why.

It was looking into this stuff that first got me to ucapps.de

I'm very excited by this project,  I can't wait to see where it goes!

--Da5id

;)

The next step is a 4 ADC daughter board, whith 8 balanced inputs,  and I2S output. This card can be used with SBlive, via the AUD_EXT connector on value or by soldering on the card. If we can get some of the AL1401 and al1402, we can make a ADAT input for the sblive, and a ADC ADAT unit. Smash suggest that we can use RJ45 cable for the adat, insted of optic fiber, which are cheaper.

For the output, I think we are going to make another daugther board :)

Hey, anyone have any further word about Linux drivers that can handle all the APS functionality? I checked the E-mu site, nada, same for KX Project.

Alsa's compatibility list clearly states that audio record from the front RCA connectors doesn't work, and thar's 2 channels right there, so I'm assuming that most of the added features of the 10K1 aren't going to function.

Anyone have any info?

:'( ... yes alsa doesn't work with all this.. but I read that it will be easy to add multichannel support to SBlive... so I write to alsa-devel mailing list and no answer GGRRRR I'm going to try again, as I have some skill in C language, and I have ever worked with old SB16 card under DOS without driver, maybe if someone help me I could do this... but the file for emu10k1 are not well commented !!

Yeah, I just went looking through the source, and there are almost no comments in it. Just thousands of lines of very nicely-indented code :)

But from what I could see (I'm not a programmer) the driver only worked for stereo operation. I just sent an email to perex, asking him about multichannel functionality, I'll let you know what I hear back.

If i would want this extension/conversion of an SB live card, which one is the best to go for? Value, Gold something, Platinum, whatever version there is?

If it's the platinum with the extra (internal) control box/bay, would i need an 3rd bay in my pc for the extension/conversion or is it planned as an external box?

And will the drivers or whatever software that's needed to run the extension/conversion properly be for both windows OS's and for Linux? Because i'm getting the idea that everybody who's working on this project is developing it for Linux, is this correct?

the best card is the SBLive FULL, or any SBlive card with the AUD_EXT connector.

First : by now it only works under windows ;) With the KX driver. We want it to work under linux ;D

Then, all you need is the SBLive card with no "official" extension... The extension card can be put on the sblive card or in an external box.

you see what I mean?

Well, I got an email back from Perex (Jaroslav):

"Emu APS card is only partially supported and the code is absolutely

untested. Regarding the multi-channel capture, I think that it should be

implemented via a special DSP code. This code is also missing.

Jaroslav"

Which is about what the source looked like. Poop!

wow  :D

Thanks for all the work so far! im quite excited!

off topic but can any one point me in the direction to build a cheap? optical to 5.1 (comp) dont know if this is even possible?

My DVD has optical out but my amp has only 5.1 input! ???

off topic but can any one point me in the direction to build a cheap? optical to 5.1 (comp) dont know if this is even possible?

mmm what do you mean by 5.1 input? analog? digital?

Pilo ? can you resume me what i miss ?

mmm nothing I think!!

We now have to work on DAC board :)

Hey, could one of you mail me the current PCB files/schematics and the associated info?

I'd love to bust out the soldering iron on this project, even if the designs aren't quite done. Who knows, I might even be able to contribute a little  ;)

da5id@ctl-alt-del.kicks-ass.org

Thanks!!!

Thanks for the files!

Unfortunately, I just tried to install Eagle, and I guess something's a little funny, because I get to the registration screen and it crashes. Tried three different versions, too...

Balls!

Oh well, I'll figure it out tomorrow, or just use the Windows box in the livingroom. Ugh.

Thanks again!