windows_toolchain_core problem

Per S

I have inherited a computer which I have updated to suit my needs. It has XP Prof, 3 GHz, 2.5 GB and two drives.

I did run into problems when installing the Windows_Toolchain_core. I followed the instructions on the setup. When installing the MSYS the following happens when answering “y†as directed by the instructions:

This is a post install process that will try to normalize between
your MinGW install if any as well as your previous MSYS installs
if any.  I don't have any traps as aborts will not hurt anything.
Do you wish to continue with the post install? [yn ] y

m.AllocationBase 0x0, m.BaseAddress 0x715B0000, m.RegionSize 0x4E0000, m.State 0x10000
D:\msys\1.0\bin\sh.exe: *** Couldn't reserve space for cygwin's heap (0x715B0000
 <0xC30000>) in child, Win32 error 6
      0 [main] sh 840 sync_with_child: child 420(0x720) died before initialization with status code 0x1
     78 [main] sh 840 sync_with_child: *** child state waiting for longjmp
pi.sh: fork: Resource temporarily unavailable
D:\msys\1.0\postinstall>pause
Pressing “Any key†will complete the installation without any further errors. I decided to do the rest of the steps anyway. I also updated the PATH statements and checked the “make –versionâ€. I tried a test run which produces similar results as above
D:\MIDI_Stuff\midio128_v2_2b>make
rm -rf *.cod *.lst *.err
rm -rf *.hex
AllocationBase 0x0, BaseAddress 0x715B0000, RegionSize 0x4E0000, State 0x10000
d:\msys\1.0\bin\sh.exe: *** Couldn't reserve space for cygwin's heap, Win32 error 6
make: *** [cleanall] Error 1

D:\MIDI_Stuff\midio128_v2_2b>

I have installed this on my laptop some time ago without any problems. I checked the forum and eventually found something similar in the German section. It was recommended to download the posix_bin and update the path (that's the way I understood it) which I did, but to no avail.

Well, here I'm stuck

I did run into problems when installing the Windows_Toolchain_core. I followed the instructions on the setup.

Did you follow the first and most important instruction right at the top of the page:

Don't forget The QuickStart Guide! It's the quick and easy setup. It will work for nearly everyone.

windows_toolchain_quickstart

:D

D:\msys\1.0\bin\sh.exe: *** Couldn't reserve space for cygwin's heap (0x715B0000

<0xC30000>) in child, Win32 error 6

Hmm that's weird. Even if the postinstall fails, it should work, but it seems that whatever caused the postinstall to fail also caused the later error.

don't know why it's talking about cygwin. I would think that you also had cygwin installed, but you said that you edited the path as per the long instructions, and that says to put the msys directory at the beginning of the path...

And that error specifically states the correct location... You chose the "candidate" version when you installed? Are you running any antivirus software? Do you have other development tools installed?

I'd start by uninstalling the midibox toolchain (make sure the files are all gone just to be safe) and doing the quickstart install again. If it doesn't work after that, can you paste the output of each of the following commands:

path

sdcc --version

make --version

sed --version

sh --version

Good luck!

To answer your questions:

Windows_Tool_chain_quickstart. Yes, that was my first try. Although installations went fine, trying to assemble using the “make†command produced the error in question.

I then went on to remove everything and started down the Detailed Guide.

I did select “Candidate†version as per instructions.

I have AVG free 8.0. I did disable this but no change.

No other development tools installed, not even SDCC.

In the meantime while I doing a complete reinstall, please take a look at this. While fooling around I did enter a couple of “make†and one of them produced a perfect result.

D:\MIDI_Stuff\midio128_v2_2b_min>make
rm -rf *.cod *.lst *.err
d:\msys\1.0\bin\sh.exe: *** Couldn't reserve space for cygwin's heap, Win32 erro
r 6
make: *** [clean] Error 1

rm -rf *.cod *.lst *.err
rm -rf *.hex
gpasm  -p p18f452  -I./src -I ./include/asm -I ./include/share -I ./modules/app_
lcd/dummy  main_2_2b.asm

rm -rf *.cod *.lst *.err
d:\msys\1.0\bin\sh.exe: *** Couldn't reserve space for cygwin's heap, Win32 erro
r 6
make: *** [clean] Error 1

D:\MIDI_Stuff\midio128_v2_2b_min>
The middle “make†worked !!! I have not been able to reproduce this so far. Here’s the result of the versions:
D:\>make --version
GNU Make 3.81
Copyright (C) 2006  Free Software Foundation, Inc.
This is free software; see the source for copying conditions.
There is NO warranty; not even for MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A
PARTICULAR PURPOSE.

This program built for i386-pc-mingw32

D:\>sed --version
GNU sed version 3.02

Copyright (C) 1998 Free Software Foundation, Inc.
This is free software; see the source for copying conditions.  There is NO
warranty; not even for MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE,
to the extent permitted by law.

D:\>sh --version
r 6

D:\>path
PATH=d:\msys\1.0\bin;D:\Perl\site\bin;D:\Perl\bin;C:\WINDOWS\;C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM3
2;C:\WINDOWS\System32\Wbem;C:\Program\ATI Technologies\ATI Control Panel;C:\Prog
ram\QuickTime\QTSystem\;C:\Program\Delade filer\Teleca Shared;D:\posix_bin;D:\Pr
ogram\gputils\bin

D:\>

Apparently the "sh" version is suspect

Finally, I will redo the whole thing using the quick guide, as requested, later today and will post the results including the version information.

You've done everything right.... But that copy of sh seems to be screwey. It's installed by a downloader that grabs the files from sourceforge and unzips them for you, I have a feeling the download was corrupted somehow. The sometimes working sometimes not is weird though...

That said, it would be unusual for the posix_bin package to have similar corruption. You could try this:

Open a dos prompt. Type:

set PATH=D:\posix_bin;d:\msys\1.0\bin;D:\Perl\site\bin;D:\Perl\bin;C:\WINDOWS\;C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32;C:\WINDOWS\System32\Wbem;C:\Program\ATI Technologies\ATI Control Panel;C:\Program\QuickTime\QTSystem\;C:\Program\Delade filer\Teleca Shared;D:\Program\gputils\bin

That should be all one line of text. Don't worry, it's effect is temporary. Then do:

sh --version

It should return this:

C:\>sh --version

GNU bash, version 2.04.0(1)-release (i686-pc-msys)

Copyright 1999 Free Software Foundation, Inc.

If not, something is very weird.

You could also try overwrite those sh.exe files with a new one downloaded from here:

http://sourceforge.net/project/downloading.php?group_id=2435&use_mirror=transact&filename=bash-3.1-MSYS-1.0.11-1.tar.bz2&45042896

Weird problem though... Uhm... I'm running low on ideas after these... Tried a reboot?

We could always try cygwin as a (very large download) last resort....

I did a few things along what you outlined.

First a “sh –version†without any manipulation, followed by the revised Path statement (I cheated a little with the typing). The result below:

r 6

D:\>set path=d:\posix_bin;%path%

This works now. I also tried to assemble with the “make†command and everything is OK. I then did a few other things, first a reboot, no revised “path†statement, result:

d:\msys\1.0\bin\sh.exe: *** Couldn't reserve space for cygwin's heap, Win32 err
r 6

d:\msys\1.0\bin\sh.exe: *** Couldn't reserve space for cygwin's heap, Win32 err
r 6

The interesting thing is that it worked the first time and the first time only. All subsequent “sh –version†turned out with error. I compared the "sh.exe" in both folders but there is no apparent difference apart from the date, one carries the date from my download this morning. Byte count is the same. To me it looks like the MSYS version leaves something in storage that prevents subsequent executions to run properly. I won’t speculate more, I’ll leave it with the revised “path†statement and make that permanent. Later, when I have some spare time, I might clear the whole thing and start from scratch. But for now, I'm OK.

Thanks a lot for your assistance.