my mb64 concept

linevty04

Welcome aboard!

Your layout looks very nice!

What do you want to control with your midibox?

some suggestions:

- i'd try to get the cutoff/resonance pots more close together. e.g. try to put then in the lower line, where Ctr 2 and 3 are now.

- on some buttons the LEDs are left, on some buttons the LEDs are on the right side. This would confuse me a bit. what about illuminated buttons?

e.g. http://www.sparkfun.com/commerce/product_info.php?products_id=8807

matthias

Welcome aboard!

Your layout looks very nice!

What do you want to control with your midibox?

some suggestions:

- i'd try to get the cutoff/resonance pots more close together. e.g. try to put then in the lower line, where Ctr 2 and 3 are now.

- on some buttons the LEDs are left, on some buttons the LEDs are on the right side. This would confuse me a bit. what about illuminated buttons?

e.g. http://www.sparkfun.com/commerce/product_info.php?products_id=8807

matthias

Thanks for the advice, It makes sense! (res,cut&LED placement) I'll make changes and after i have the proper dimensions of all my parts.

I'll be using it to control FLStudio, its all i've used for the past 4 years to produce my own tracks and don't know any better. all the talk on here is Ableton and such, which i'd like to learn.   as for the illuminated buttons, i gotta go with the cheap stuff, income is tight. 

On that note, for cheap-o's like me, i've attached a pic of the cheapest US-based distributor i've came across.

frontpanelparts.JPG

frontpanelparts.JPG

I see you've chosen a on-off button. it will work, but it is not recommended.

There are 2 major types of switches:

1. "real" switches: Push them once -> on , push them a second time -> off

2. Push buttons : push them -> on for the time your finger pushes on it, remove your finger -> off

Push buttons are recommended for any MB-applications (except for stuff like a power switch), because you can determine the actual behavior of the buttons in the code. So you're much more flexible with push buttons.

Another difference is, that there is no direct visual feedback when using a Pushbutton. you need a LED that tells you if the switch in the software is on or off.

you can distinguish them the following way:

push button: (on)-off

switch: on-off 

the word in brackets means that it is non-latching.

sometimes you can also find other types like

on-off-on , on-off-(on) etc.

matthias