Doh! LCD bezel slightly too big - MB-6582

chimchim

I didn't pay close enough attention and ordered an LCD that is slightly too large to fit through the CS pcb.  The LCD i have is around 42mm tall when the parts list called for 39.33mm.  The PCB holes and actual character screen size match on the one I have it's just the bezel.

Anyone see a problem with slightly enlarging the PCB opening?  There seems to be enough room where I could dremel off a mm or two without hitting any traces.

Can you send a link to where you bought the LCD, or upload a datasheet?

Do the mount hole positions match the holes on the CS PCB?

To answer your question, you can enlarge the cutout with a Dremel up to the pads of the switches, which would be ~2.5mm from top and ~3mm from bottom. I use a "grinding disc" to cut PCBs, and cut with the edge.

Bought from mouser along w/ most of the other CS components:

http://www.newhavendisplay.com/specs/NHD-0420DZ-FL-YBW.pdf

The holes match up perfectly so I'm fairly certain it should work, bezel dimensions are slightly different.  The main hangup it is 41.7mm tall where the "crystalfontz" is 39.3mm, I think taking about 1mm off along the top and bottom of the PCB hole would do the trick.

I looked at a lot of datasheets to come up with the right size for the cutout on the PCB... obviously didn't come across that one.  :(

Good plan. Unfortunately, taking a Dremel to your PCB voids the warranty. You have been warned.  :)