Newbie Question: Wilba MB-6582 & CV/Gate Output

toneburst

Silly question, probably, but I'm wondering if I'd need extra hardware in order to use the MB-6582 to control analogue synth gear. I'm planning to install the expansion port socket on the back of the unit, but I'm not sure whether I could connect this up to any of the headers on the mainboard in such a way that I'd be able to send out CV/Gate signals directly, or if I'd need to connect the expansion port to another box containing more MIDIbox circuitry.

Sorry if this has been covered before...

a|x

Pretty sure it'll do gates from J5 but for CV it's AOUT_NG

Ah, ok.

So it's an external box hooked up to the expansion port, then....

But would I be able to connect one of the headers around Core 1 to the expansion port, to control the AOUT_NG circuitry, or is Wilba's MB-6582 not able to output the correct data for this?

a|x

Ah, answered my own question:

http://www.ucapps.de/midibox_sid/mbsid_aout_interconnections.pdf

As with many answers, though, it throws up more question: I have a spare Core. Would it be easy to make up a box containing this core, the AOUT_NG, and a switch so that it could alternatively be controlled directly from the SID? Would I need any special electronics for this switch to work? Would the AOUT_NG, the Core in the box and the one in the SID be able to cope with being switched like this?

a|x

or is Wilba's MB-6582 not able to output the correct data for this?

if you take a look at the mb-6582 docu on the wiki and forum, you'll notice that mb-6582 is (mostly) just an implementation of the regular MBHP modules put together in a clever way to a unified pcb. All the regular core module's headers are there and can of course be used just like on regular separate modules.

[edit - Warning - while you were typing a new reply has been posted]

which core are you talking of? Do you want the box be usable as a standalone MB CV, too? for that you could use a 5 throw dual pole switch to connect the aout_ng either to that integrated core module or to the connector for the mb-6582. If that wasn't your idea, yoou don't need an extra core on that box.

oh and btw, that aout box will need an extra bipolar +/- 12V PSU.

S

which core are you talking of? Do you want the box be usable as a standalone MB CV, too? for that you could use a 5 throw dual pole switch to connect the aout_ng either to that integrated core module or to the connector for the mb-6582. If that wasn't your idea, yoou don't need an extra core on that box.

oh and btw, that aout box will need an extra bipolar +/- 12V PSU.

S

Cool, that's exactly what I had in mind, actually. Was just wondering if switching between the 2 inputs to the AOUT while it was on might cause issues.

Cheers,

a|x

Cool, that's exactly what I had in mind, actually. Was just wondering if switching between the 2 inputs to the AOUT while it was on might cause issues.

that should probably be ok as long as the switch is a "break before make" type - although to be on the safe side I'd try to avoid that. I never had any issues with plugging in modules while power is on, but there might be a difference in ground potential between the two boxes if they were running on their separate PSUs without a connection which could cause short overvoltages if the switch closes very fast.

S

The idea of the expansion port (on my MB-6582 case) was to wire it to the COREx_J6 headers, i.e. to connect to an external box with AOUT and filter modules inside. So inside the case, I'd use connectors and ribbon cables and just solder wires to the DB25 connector on the panel.

Since the original prototype, seppoman designed the AOUT_NG and stereo SSM2044 filter PCBs, so it's now really easy to add external filters to the MB-6582 base PCB - just connect them via the COREx_J6 headers. COREx_J6  and COREx_J7 are paired into a 2x5 pin dual header (identical to J6/J7 on MBHP_CORE_V3), so you can use a standard 10-pin IDC connector and ribbon cable.

Similarly, J5_CORE1 can be used to connect analog input sources like pots (identical to J5 on MBHP_CORE_V3).  You'll need to read the MB-SID documentation and recompile the firmware to enable this. I believe this allows you to control the user-customized Knobs layer, so maybe only 5 analog inputs are available.