ANUBIS - Traktor MIDI controller

Primate

Same here, for me the main problem (for now) is how to make it all fit into the box because I have no experience in making the whole "product" and I want it to be as precise as possible. One thing is watching the pictures and explanations on the forum and the other making it yourself (but you know that already  :))

As you know the size and number of all modules you are going to use I see no problem here. Problem can happen when you really want to fit everything in a very tight space of some box you already have and really, really want to reuse. When making something from scratch, you can design the box as you like. If you are not making rack unit, you can forget about any standard dimensions. As you are beginner, better make casing bit bigger. When you gain confidence you can work on the miniaturization. Regardless of some experience I gain over past time I always make 2D paper mock-ups. It really helps. You just cannot get real feeling of the controls just by looking at the design on screen. Print out your panel design and put on the table... you`ll easily spot if you make spacing between controls too small or if you could make it bit bigger. If you already bought the some knobs, you will have some fun.

Tnx Soclt, I'm glad that somebody likes my design  :D

I'm planing to post the pictures and the documentation when I finish with the project. Although I'm not certain when will that be because momentarily  I can't find appropriate faders in Zagreb and little details like this one are killing me.

From what I've seen for now your wright and I was already rechecking Mouser's shipping charge but nothing has changed....luckily I also saw that Farnell has "only" €20 shipping and most probably I'll order from them (they have those nice Alps faders).

• 4 weeks later...

Ok I think it's time for an update so you don't think I'm jerk*** off around.

I've got all the components (hope you like the knobs in the attachment) including those LEDs that Sasha was talking about and I must say they are nice and so bright you can go blind.

I got some components from Farnell and they didn't charge me for the shipping and the components where delivered the next day I ordered!!!  :P

The PCB design is also finished (the PCB itself ought to be done next week).

I was intending to get the housing for the controller by ordering it from the workshop but after two weeks of searching for the people who are willing to do it I gave off and decided to make it myself. So I got the "L" shape (corner) aluminium and all I need now is only to cut it in the right places.  :D

Here's some pics.

4670_Anubis_PCB_jpg732863f084a90478ec201

knobs.JPG

4674_Anubis_casing_jpg846d26d72f7ef76fa1

4670_Anubis_PCB_jpg732863f084a90478ec201

knobs.JPG

4674_Anubis_casing_jpg846d26d72f7ef76fa1

Yesterday I went to cut out the aluminium to the desired dimensions. After the guy has done the cutting job all I have to do is to quote noofny.

"if you want something done right - just don't give it to the retard at the metal yard in Arncliff"

In my case retard from Zagreb but it's amazing that people who do something every day can't do it properly. I attached some pics so you can see what the retard did. There's also a pic of a rough shape of the controller casing.

The PCB is coming on friday and I can't wait to see it. I'll keep you updated.

Cheers.

fus.JPG

4699_casing_v1_jpg909ff5546ca21d1533f082

fus.JPG

4699_casing_v1_jpg909ff5546ca21d1533f082

Yesterday I went to cut out the aluminium to the desired dimensions. After the guy has done the cutting job all I have to do is to quote noofny.

"if you want something done right - just don't give it to the retard at the metal yard in Arncliff"

In my case retard from Zagreb but it's amazing that people who do something every day can't do it properly.

Sorry to hear that, but it happens here all the time, no matter is is metal worker, carpenter or whatever, and I wonder same thing as yourself again and again. I use to say... if you want to do it properly do it yourself. Unfortunately you cannot do all by yourself. Sometimes pays off to invest in some tools and sacrifice a lot of time to get good result.

Sorry to hear that, but it happens here all the time, no matter is is metal worker, carpenter or whatever, and I wonder same thing as yourself again and again.

Man you guys do seem to have some shoddy workers. At least I know that in you guys, the next generation of workers will have some pride in their work.

Hang in there, mates :)

Sometimes pays off to invest in some tools and sacrifice a lot of time to get good result.

Well I have the tools (specially because my dad is a repairman) except an laser cutter and the compound miter saw,lol. But to sacrifice some time so I can get a satisfying and precise result isn't a problem for me.

Man you guys do seem to have some shoddy workers. At least I know that in you guys, the next generation of workers will have some pride in their work.

Hang in there, mates :)

LOL but tnx for the support and the belief in us Balkans!  :D

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Yes I did and now I'm trying to make the app which is not going as I planned.

I didn't manage the "Setup and install" for the app development. Also I didn't quite figure out the app development (read program logic). To be honest I really have little time for app development research (because of the other things on my mind) so if you have some directions I'll be glad if you share it with me. I was searching the forum for that matter but it takes a lot of time to get some useful info. I was also wondering how to setup Microsoft Visual Studio C++ for the app development?  ???

Tnx for the info about the vmidibox, I didn't know for that. Although I can't "assign" LEDs to pots (or can I  ???) only buttons, and therefore I'll need customized firmware for my controller...

I'm currently using MTE's Traktorizer firmware...you can see from the picture it's not suited for my needs.

Anubis.JPG

Anubis.JPG