What PIC Burner to go?

Mr. Otto

I decided to make all pcb's, burning, etc.. from scratch, since I think it is more fun, and Smash won't send kit here, so..

Anyway, I'm having trouble on the burning PIC thing, I can't tell if a burner suports HVP. A week ago I found a brazilian made pic burner that seams to be able to do the job... here's the link, it is in portuguese, but I think one could tell by the schematics on the page: http://www.microgenius.com.br/shop/detalhes.asp?id=28&produto=410

Any hint would be of great help.

Thanks

Unfortunately the page doesn't help...

HVP mode is initiated using the MCLR pin, it needs to be held to a higher than normal voltage (about 12V, depending on the chip). Those designs show how to connect the programmer to the MCLR pin on the chip, but there's no hint of what level the pin outputs from the programmer.

Any programmer not running off a real RS232 COM port, will need some kind of circuitry to increase the >5V input, into the needed voltage. There is a big blue cap on that board, which may be a good sign, or could mean nothing at all.

Have you emaled them yet? What did they say about HVP?

I was going to call them next monday, but let's email them too...

I tought of that one because it is at very good price, and it seams very flexible, it also can be attached to their dev. board, witch is not expensive either, and it comes with a pic 18f452 along with manuals for students...  so it would be very cool if it works

thanks stryd, as soon as get a reply from them i'll paste it here.

Well, no response from the company... Good thing actually, a few hours after my second post I red a bit more carefully about the PIC Burner project and it doesn't sound difficult at all! A bit worried about the psu, though. Sometimes information on wiki comes and goes... and I'm preatty sure somebody wrote something about not using 2x9vbattery 'cuz it won't drive a steady voltage most of the times, but I can't find it anymore. In Michael Klein tut. he says it is an option... any help ?

It would be an excellent choice if only Brasil's tax laws weren't such a F* pain..

so I'll have to double your $35.  Add that to  It's more fun if you do it and you get the idea. I read your thread about doing so using a Pickit2, it helped me understand a few things, thanks!

JDM was an option too, you see, I, too, have an old Dell...  ;)  Thanks for the feedbacks!

completely off-topic, but I was just reading MBSID's CC's Chart and thinking about the possibilities of controling it with a DrumKat, and holly s* that can be awesome! way better than having a Machinedrum!