HUI usage scenarios/configs

madox

I'm preparing to make a MB64 or MB64E, and just wondered how people are using these in the studio?

I have never used a generic controller like this, though I do use my Nord Modular G2X in this fashion. The G2X has 8 rotary encoders, with 4 2x16 character LCD displays to show what each encoder is assigned to, etc. I make control patches for the G2X, and I have the control parameters displayed, when I come to use them.

G2XController.jpg

So, I just wondered how people use their MB64/MB64E's? Do you just remember what the pots/encoders are set to control? Does anyone use old school patch sheets (I mean actual sheets of paper)? I made an audio patch field before, and had the front plate painted as a white board, so I could write what each socket was connected to; this worked a bit, but was not a great solution. I think people may well use several different control configurations; doesn't it get confusing sometimes?

Cheers

edit - added image of G2X controller extracted from manual

I've just been reading the MB64 and MBLCD pages, and have a few questions about what may be possible with the displays.

It seems that MIOS is able to address multiple displays, of various types, provided the code is set accordingly. So I am wondering if it may be possible to customise the MB64/MB64E application code to operate multiple displays in a similar fashion to the Nord Modular G2s.

I happen to have 4 128x64 KS0108B displays left over from a previous project, and am thinking along the lines of having half of each of these displays dedicated to a group of 8 knobs. I think this would suit most of my applications, whereby I may assign a group of 8 knobs to control one instrument. Then each display could at least have as default, a label pertaining to the group of knobs, mainly to jog my memory as to the settup.

I haven't examined any of the code for MIOS or the applications yet, but I am assuming it would take a fair bit of work to get this running. Does anyone have any suggestions as to the capacity for the PIC to handle overheads involved with such a set up?

Cheers