MB6582 mixing leds

strophlex

I am populating the CS of my MB6582 and it seems I have to mix red LEDs of different brands. I have 102 LEDs from Smash TV that I will use with 1K ohm resistors but i have to add at least 10 LEDs of a different brand that match with 330 ohm resistors for the same brightness. Does anybody know how I can find out what LEDs go with what resistors so that I can match a 1K/330 resistor combination on the base PCB with an appropriate LED setup on the CS?

Yes and I found "Control Surface Wiring" at http://www.midibox.org/dokuwiki/wilba_mb_6582 (http://www.midibox.org/dokuwiki/lib/exe/fetch.php?id=wilba_mb_6582&cache=cache&media=mb-6582:mb-6582_cs_dout_wiring.pdf) and found out that it is not possible if I don't scatter the different leds all over... Maybe I do...

The LEDs are (effectively) in one big 16x8 matrix, with 8 "columns" sinking current by the 3rd 74HC595 shift register (the one with the transistors), and 16 "rows" sourcing the current by the 1st and 2nd 74HC595 shift registers.

8 "rows" are used by the 8x8 mod matrix LEDs, the other 8 "rows" are used by all the other LEDs.

It's very easy to use LEDs in the mod matrix that are different to the other LEDs, you just use different resistors connected to the 1st and 2nd 74HC595... and in theory you could identify all LEDs in one or more "rows" and use a different resistor for those rows... but this solution isn't very good, as unfortunately those LEDs would be in different groups on the display, rather than being in one group (like LEDs in the SID 1/2/3/4 group, or the LFO waveform group).

The best solution is just get some more red LEDs from SmashTV... if buying another pack of 100 is too much, I'll just send you some spares that I have here. You can solder the LEDs in two stages, it won't make a difference if you are soldering them while the panel and PCB are attached (as I recommend for perfect alignment).

The LEDs are (effectively) in one big 16x8 matrix, with 8 "columns" sinking current by the 3rd 74HC595 shift register (the one with the transistors), and 16 "rows" sourcing the current by the 1st and 2nd 74HC595 shift registers.

8 "rows" are used by the 8x8 mod matrix LEDs, the other 8 "rows" are used by all the other LEDs.

I'm guessing that means you don't recommend we mix LED colors in the LED matrix? I was wanting to do a VU meter type of thing (green, yellow, red) so that the VU meter mode would look cooler :) I'm not very familiar with how the matrix functions with the current sinking stuff, but I'm guessing I could use different resistors on one of the 74HC595's?

OT ALERT! :) Conveniently (by design) the 8x8 mod matrix LEDs are arranged so each horizontal row of LEDs is supplied by one pin of a 74HC595 so it's quite easy to put different LEDs in each row and make the brightness match. If you're going to do this, you might as well invest in some machine pin strips or chop up an IC socket, so you can swap resistors after everything is soldered and the control surface attached.

However, different colour LEDs within the mod matrix might look a bit wrong in the other modes, but if you don't mind that then go for it, you should have no trouble matching brightness.