Custom LC/Core32 questions

findbuddha

I've done some reading and I see that the LC app will be ported to the Core32 sometime soon.

I'm considering building a custom LC/midi controller and I have a few questions - my apologies for anything that's already been answered in the forum.

I want to build a somewhat stripped down LC and have some general purpose midi encoders and buttons on the controller as well. I understand the LC protocol requires its own midi port. Does the Core32 provide 2 midi ports via USB?

Is there a minimum component set for the controller to function as a logic control?

My current thought is 8 channels of motor fader, mute/solo/rec, pan encoder. Scrub wheel, transport controls and bank select. 1 or 2 LCDs to view.

And I suppose the most important question: Will this be better than a BCF2000? I'd be using the Alps motor faders. I find the faders on the BCF noisy and jerky.

Thanks! :)

I can't  answer about the Core32 part, but there's no reason why you couldn't build your stripped-down LC as you describe.

Just leave out some DIN's and DOUT's if you don't need them, and clamp unused inputs to ground.

If you're using Cubase or any other sequencer you'll find the other buttons very useful though, so I'd recommend building the full monty.

The biggest difference with the BCF is the LCD ! I had a BCF which was frankly quite a pain to use because of the lack thereof, but now I find it a breeze to edit. The eq, fx, etc are very quick to dial, and you can assign your own favorites to the Fcn buttons.

Make sure you use 2 2x40 lcds to see everything, and align the faders with the channel names.

As for the noise, I use Alps faders and the noise is ok. You're always going to get some noise anyway, it depends on your case too. If you make it rigid and damp fader vibrations sound won't resonate and the noise will basically be the noise level of the fader motors which is low.

Precision is great here, no jitter either, Thorsten really did a great job. Make sure your build is clean and you use a good psu though, as this can influence results.

And make sure you don't have any ground loops as this will induce electrical noise and could cause jitter and other annoying phenomenons.