sammichSID Prototype

Wilba

:santa:

There's been a cancellation in batch #3 and in the spirit of Christmas aka. End Of Year Shopping Festival, one lucky person can be the first to post in this thread and say "IT IS MINE, OH YES, IT IS MINE!" and in doing so, jump the queue and sneak into batch #3, which might ship on the 28th or something like that.

This lucky person will also receive the limited edition sammichSID keyring valued at over one dollar! W00T! :frantics:

tn_gallery_3590_6_398997.jpg

DO NOT PM ME! DO NOT EMAIL ME! The whole point is to avoid even more emails!

:santa:

• Replies 445
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I'm gonna do it!!

IT IS MINE, OH YES, IT IS MINE! :laugh:

ps.

I have an old C64 (1987 model = 1x 6581 chip -I don't need anything else, right?) and I was just wondering,

can I use one 6581 and one 6582A at the same time in the Sammich?

They have slightly different characteristics, right?

Has anyone tried that?

Edited by Geir_Helgi

I have an old C64 (1987 model = 1x 6581 chip -I don't need anything else, right?) and I was just wondering,

can I use one 6581 and one 6582A at the same time in the Sammich?

They have slightly different characteristics, right?

Has anyone tried that?

No, you cannot use 6581 (12V required) and 6582A/8580R5 (9V required) at the same time in sammichSID (without making modifications to the PCB). There is only one voltage selection header/jumper for both SIDs. Technically you can run the 6581 on 9V but the filter will not work.

I decided that nearly everyone who doesn't buy two 6582A from me will be using two of the same kind of SID, since this is a MIDIbox SID designed for a "stereo pair" of SIDs and not two SID engines with one SID each.

No, you cannot use 6581 (12V required) and 6582A/8580R5 (9V required) at the same time in sammichSID (without making modifications to the PCB). There is only one voltage selection header/jumper for both SIDs. Technically you can run the 6581 on 9V but the filter will not work.

I decided that nearly everyone who doesn't buy two 6582A from me will be using two of the same kind of SID, since this is a MIDIbox SID designed for a "stereo pair" of SIDs and not two SID engines with one SID each.

Alright, thanks for clearing that out of the way!

Then I'll just find another 6581 here in Iceland..

Can you take the 6582A's out of my order then, please? And thank you :D

ps. what paint did you use on the Sammiches shown on the first page?

Edited by Geir_Helgi

I just received some extra top panels so I will be trying something other than acrylic paint using a brush... maybe these markers will work better.

Awesome!

I'm gonna see if I can get a little bit of White Silk-Screening paint and just paint it on there (mixed with a fastener).

How's everything going?

Are you packing the christmas gifts and baking the christmas meal alongside packing the Sammiches? :D

BAD NEWS :sad:

I have run out of the "true-green" low-power LCDs, and only have a few amber low-power LCDs left. I can't get more for a reasonable price, so I am switching to stocking only the common yellow-green high-power LCDs, which I can buy on demand from anywhere, for a good price. I still have plenty of the white-on-dark-blue LCDs.

BAD NEWS :sad:

I have run out of the "true-green" low-power LCDs, and only have a few amber low-power LCDs left. I can't get more for a reasonable price, so I am switching to stocking only the common yellow-green high-power LCDs, which I can buy on demand from anywhere, for a good price. I still have plenty of the white-on-dark-blue LCDs.

Does the high-power LCD affect in any way how the sammichSID would work/function differently , or is the extra-amount of power needed low enough to not have an effect?

The low-power LCD backlight draws 25mA.

High-power LCD backlights can draw up to 280mA.

The only real difference is making sure your power supply can cope with extra power. If you still want to use a 500mA 12V DC adapter, you would need to turn the brightness down, i.e. keep the backlight current draw to 100mA or less. Yet another reason I changed the brightness trimpot to 50K (on the MIDIbox Core schem it's 10K) and allowed the backlight to be supplied from input power and not the 5V supply after the 7805 voltage regulator (keeping backlight current out of the regulator and reducing the amount of heat that would need dissipating). If you're using a 1000mA 12V regulated DC adapter, there's absolutely no difference, you can crank up the brightness to max.

The low-power LCD backlight draws 25mA.

High-power LCD backlights can draw up to 280mA.

The only real difference is making sure your power supply can cope with extra power. If you still want to use a 500mA 12V DC adapter, you would need to turn the brightness down, i.e. keep the backlight current draw to 100mA or less. Yet another reason I changed the brightness trimpot to 50K (on the MIDIbox Core schem it's 10K) and allowed the backlight to be supplied from input power and not the 5V supply after the 7805 voltage regulator (keeping backlight current out of the regulator and reducing the amount of heat that would need dissipating). If you're using a 1000mA 12V regulated DC adapter, there's absolutely no difference, you can crank up the brightness to max.

Ok, thanks for the info.:)Hope there's enough amber/red LCDs left, so I can have one of those.

Just today I finished my Sammich and it is working great! I loaded the MIDIbox SID V2 presets and have just played around with those thus far. I was prepared for awesome old-school game sounds but was blown away by all the general synth sounds that go far beyond bleeps/bloops. Some of the stereo effects are really tripped-out.

Here's a pic I took when I did the MIDI-In display test:

mmmmsammich.jpg

This was only my second DIY electronic kit project so I was expecting to have to do trouble shooting. I think the fact that I didn't can be put down to how well laid out the design and it's documentation are (in my diy-noobish opinion). Also I held out on doing the kit for a while until I got a temperature controlled iron to replace my cheapy one - it really does make things easier and less prone to error.

I plan to record a video in the next few day with it and some of my other gear - like my Flame MIDI-talk synth - and post it here.

Cheers Wilba for this awesome kit. :sorcerer:

Is it possible to have info about how many that have finished their Sammich's now? And how many that have been delivered and how many that are still on the waiting lists? I did a few searches on the forum and did not get a very clear picture of it...

Edited by Olorin