OOH, a fun one here!

Guest DannyWarthen

Guest DannyWarthen

Hi all,

This is a long and detailed post, so please bear with me...

I have built a MIDIbox using the PIC18F452 with a single AINX4 module and 10 pots. (Why 10? A bulk discount started at 10 pcs, so it was cheaper to buy 10 than 8.) Everything about the CORE module seems to be working perfectly. The bootstrap loader is installed, etc. Also, a single pot connected directly to pin A0 on the CORE module works perfectly using the ain_example1_v1_3 test file.

Next I wired all 10 pots to the AIN module (clamping A10-A15 of the second 4051 to ground) and connected that to the CORE (also grounding A2-A6 on the CORE). The ain_example1_v1_3 program now still gives correct output, but responds to the pot on A6, not A0. Is this normal?

The funny stuff happens when I try other programs. The main test program ain64_din128_dout128_v1_3 does not work. Turning the pots on A0-A4 causes no output, nor does turning A8 or A9. Sweeping A5 from low to high gives the correct value for the pot but channel numbers alternating between 05 and 00. A6 gives apparent garbage for the pot values and channel numbers switching between 03, 04, and 06. A7 gives apparent garbage for the pot values and channel numbers switching between 01, 02, and 07. (Both A6 and A7 output nothing when turned to their minimums but spew junk in an endless stream when they are anywhere above it.)

Does anyone recognize this problem? Could it be a problem with my 4051's? Also, I was wondering, do I need to clamp the unused analog inputs on the AIN board J5 to ground?

Any and all help is GREATLY appreciated. Many thanks in advance.

Hello!

Alright.

If you are only using two 4051 for analogs, (A2-A7) on the core must be grounded (you said a2-a6). All other unused pots on the 4051 must be grounded too.

Have you checked all your connections on the 4051?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Interface to J6 of the core module. These are the address pins of the multiplexers which allow the MIDIbox to select one of eigth inputs, the appr. signal will be routed to the output of the 4051. Connection matrix:

AINX4 J5:A -> CORE J6:RC

AINX4 J5:B -> CORE J6:SC

AINX4 J5:C -> CORE J6:SI

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Check these again and let me know?

I am not for shure if it is necessary to reduce the number of outputs in the main.asm file, but you might try this out too.

-Sephult