More than 4 DINs with new STM32 core?

jtadams

Given how much faster the new STM32 core should be, compared to the old PIC based cores, is it now potentially feasible to support more than 4 DIN modules using the same core?  If so, would any modifications to MIOS be required?  (Most likely I need 7 or 8 - this is for MIDIfication of a medium sized organ.)  Thanks!

The default is 16 shift registers (4 x DINX4's) this is controlled by MIOS32_SRIO_NUM_SR and looking at the source to the rgb_led_controller example app, it will support 32 SR's (8 x DINX4's).

I don't know how many tk has tried it with but it looks like 7 or 8 is fine and only requires a change to mios32_config.h

You will of course need to write your own app first :)

Cheers

Phil

Thank you for your reply!  I hope to be able to use MIDIO128, perhaps with similar modifications so as to accommodate the 7-8 DIN modules.  I'm not quite ready to write my own app yet but I can probably figure out the necessary modifications to MIOS and MIDIO128 as long as there's some reason to think that - with the STM32 based core - it is likely to work and not run into timing or other similar issues.

Thanks again!

The default is 16 shift registers (4 x DINX4's) this is controlled by MIOS32_SRIO_NUM_SR and looking at the source to the rgb_led_controller example app, it will support 32 SR's (8 x DINX4's).

I don't know how many tk has tried it with but it looks like 7 or 8 is fine and only requires a change to mios32_config.h

Cheers

Phil

I'm not quite ready to write my own app yet but I can probably figure out the necessary modifications to MIOS and MIDIO128 as long as there's some reason to think that - with the STM32 based core - it is likely to work and not run into timing or other similar issues.

No problem, Don't forget though that none of the MIOS8 apps SID/IO/LC etc have been ported to MIOS32 yet! It is a pretty big undertaking and tk has been concentrating his efforts (quite rightly IMHO) on the Sequencer.

Having said that, there is a simple example called SRIO which does the following:

- DIN pins will be forwarded to DOUT pins

- DIN pins send a MIDI message (Note Events)

- DOUT pins controllable via Note Events

- Encoders at SR 13/14 will send CC events

This could be (fairly) easily adapted for simple MIDIfication and being C based any mods are much easier than the CORE8 ASM based code....

Thanks

Phil

EDIT: Having just done a SVN Update I see that yet again tk proves me wrong and releases a (draft) Core32 version of Midibox LC!!!

• 3 months later...

Cheers

Phil

Does this mean one can simply chain up to 8 DINX4 modules on to the end and MIOS takes care of it? (I'd of course have to write an app that uses these)

I assume the same applies for DOUTX4 too?