More LCD display woes

tonysnail

Hi all..

I've finally got my PIC to communicate with the PC, and I've managed to upload MIOS to it (using MIOS Studio's hex uploader in Smart Mode)..

The pic sends the PC the 'ready' sysex string, and the MIDI sockets are both working.. I've been through the MIDI troubleshooter and everything's fine there..

So I'm trying to get my LCD display to work now - I've got it wired as described in the wiring diagram - the only difference is on my LCD, the backlight power +/- is reversed, but I tackled that..

I checked every pin with the multimeter and they're all connected to the core properly.

According to the wiring diagram, I've wired up my screen in 4-bit mode, which it tells me is suitable for PIC18F4685 projects.

So, i'm using MIOS Studio to try and send a 'hello' message to the screen, but there's nothing on it. No black bars, no text, nothing - only the backlight. I twiddled the brightness/contrast pots like mad, but still nothing.

The only thing I noticed is that the wiring diagram describes putting a 1k resistor on J15/D3 - do I need to do this?

Cheers all!