M-Audio Delta 1010LT and MIDIbox wierdness

Wilba

I just noticed a very strange problem with my MIDIbox gear connected to my M-Audio Delta 1010LT.

After upgrading to Windows 7, my MB-6582 refused to boot. The LCD would show black bars, there was no Bankstick tones. I opened MIOS Studio and restarted the MB-6582 and it was working fine. After some time (and PC reboots), the black bars came back. I started troubleshooting and discovered that with both MIDI In and MIDI Out cables connected to the M-Audio Delta 1010LT, it wouldn't boot. If only one cable was removed, or both, it would boot.

So I finally realised that the problem was the 1010LT was in some kind of MIDI Thru mode, looping back MIDI In to MIDI Out, and the MIDIbox upload request was being looped back, keeping it in an infinite loop and never booting past the bootloader. Once the MIDI ports are opened, this MIDI Thru mode gets turned off, and it seems it stays off until a reset or sleep.

I was happily running on Windows XP with 5.10.00.5057v3 drivers previously and it never went into MIDI Thru mode, I didn't even know it could do that, or why anyone would want it. During upgrading to Windows 7, I had to upgrade to 6.0.2 drivers since the old ones wouldn't install unless I used some compatibility mode trick so I thought upgrading was a better solution.

There is probably a few MIDIbox users who have this card - 8x audio inputs/outputs plus MIDI makes it a powerful (and cheap) way to connect your MIDIbox synths :) Hope this helps someone else sort out their problems.

Windows XP stopped booting, second time this happened this year, and I decided it was time to upgrade. It fixed some other problems I had - I bought a WD TV Live HD Media Player so I could play videos stored on PC, but it was dropping out every few minutes. It actually isn't bad, I haven't experienced any compatibility issues yet, everything just worked first time.