midibox CV questions

mgodzillai

Hi all.

2 freinds an i are doing the midibox CV.

we buy all kits from SmashTV.

we have little questions before we start :

we are doing AOUT NG and bipolar option.

- about the PIC we need PIC18F452 (right?) we don't know what to put in the PIC ID header(s)digit on the smash TV order form. We're doing three different midibox not connected together so what do have to put in the "0000 0000 0000 0000"

- what i don't exactly understand so far is how many CV or GATE is there :p

8CV + 2GATES ? are the gates on the CORE board ? (questions sounds noob but i read different infos)

- what do we have to do for power supply ? is there any good schematic anywhere ?

- is there an easy way to have 16CV ? or do we need to get 2 midiboxCV.

thx for help :)

Edited by mgodzillai

Hi.

Yes you will want to leave the PIC ID's at "0000 0000 0000 0000" unless you are a: Connecting CORE's together, b: using an LCD other than standard clcd, c: using an MBHP_LTC module instead of standard MIDI ports or d: using an MBHP_IIC module as the primary MIDI port.

For CV outputs, you need MBHP_AOUT_XX modules. There are three types, the standard AOUT, the LC and NG. They all have different properties, and you are best to choose which you need by reading the info on http://www.ucapps.de/ Each one contains 8 AOUT/CV outputs (apart from the LC which has 2) so for 16 CV's, things get a bit more complicated as they can't be daisy-chained (like the DIN/DOUT modules).

I believe that you would need 1 x AOUT and 1 x SHX8 (sample and hold module) which would give you up to 64 CV outs with Midibox64 but there is no kit available for SHX8 modules so you would need to get the PCB made yourself.....

For power, as the CORE has a 5v Regulator, any 7.5-9V 1A PSU would be suitable, there is a circuit for a bipolar psu in the MBHC_AOUT page if you need +/- 12V CV's.

Cheers

Phil

so for 16 CV's, things get a bit more complicated as they can't be daisy-chained (like the DIN/DOUT modules).

Oh they can, just there's no software that supports that configuration.

I believe that you would need 1 x AOUT and 1 x SHX8 (sample and hold module) which would give you up to 64 CV outs with Midibox64 but there is no kit available for SHX8 modules so you would need to get the PCB made yourself.....

Apart from the fact that a MB64 is no MBCV and the OP wants a MBCV :whistle:, the main problem with that suggestion is that the SHX8 uses obsolete ICs that are almost impossible to buy nowadays, so the SHX8 is not really a viable option.

For more than 8 CV outs on a MBCV, there's only two options: if you're an experienced programmer, you could expand the firmware to support more than one AOUT(NG) module. But that's not trivial as you'd also need to alter the UI/menu etc. Or you could simply build two independent MBCVs into one box.

Regarding the gate outs: The AOUT has two separate gate outs that the AOUT_NG doesn't have. But if two is not enough or you're using the NG, you can setup J5 to output 8 gate signals.

S

Oh they can, just there's no software that supports that configuration.

That will teach me for replying on something that I know very little about :)

Apart from the fact that a MB64 is no MBCV and the OP wants a MBCV whistle.png, the main problem with that suggestion is that the SHX8 uses obsolete ICs that are almost impossible to buy nowadays, so the SHX8 is not really a viable option.

I didn't know that, I thought that MB64 supported CV outputs? (from setup_midibox64.asm)

; enable access to the AOUT module via Port J10

#define DEFAULT_ENABLE_AOUT 0

#define DEFAULT_NUMBER_AOUTS 8

#define DEFAULT_ENABLE_AMUX 0

Anyway the OP can safely ignore everything I said about AOUT and listen to seppoman, he knows much more than me about it! :)

Cheers

Phil

That will teach me for replying on something that I know very little about :)

hehe no problem, it's still better to at least try to advise than staying silent :)

I didn't know that, I thought that MB64 supported CV outputs? (from setup_midibox64.asm)

that's true, but "MB64 supports CV outputs" doesn't mean that MB64 IS a MBCV. MBCV is one application, MB64 is a different one, with different functionality. Now go read uCApps.de about it :tongue:

S

Thx philetaylor and seppoman.

we'll do the "basic" setup of then :)

thx for info.

last question. One of us already have the PIC18F452 he ordered for a SID he never did.

so we have 2 PIC18F452 that are "0000 0000 0000 00xx" i put xx cause he remembers ther is numbers at this position but doesn't remember exaclty wich. can we use those PIC without flashing them again as long as they are alone in the core and we use :

standard lcd and standard MIDI ports ? or do we have to make super sure they are all "00"

It isn't a 'big' problem if the last two digits aren't 0. Basically, when you upload MIOS (using MIOSStudio) you can select a "Device ID" which is the last 2 digits of the PIC ID. The PIC will only respond to requests that contain the correct ID. So you will have to keep trying until you find it!

Once you know the correct ID, you can change it using the change_id application which is described here

Cheers

Phil