MIDI to DMX

John_Swenson

I'll try this again  ;)

I'm working on a lighting system at church in which I want to use DMX dimmer packs with several remote control stations using MIDI.  The MBHP and MIOS system look like they can do everything I need except for two things: MIDI to DMX and long distance MIDI.

The MIDI to DMX is conceptually very simple and the PIC processor should be able to handle it fine, but it will need RS-485 line drivers. The Maxim tranceivers look like they will work fine for this, and can also be used for the long distance MIDI.

What I propose is to make a new MBHP module which has the Maxim tranceiver(s), opto-isolator and regulator on one board. This board can be used with a core module for DMX out, or long distance MIDI in and OUT. With the opto-isolator on board it can be used by itself as a long distance MIDI driver/receiver, no core module needed!

I have several questions about getting MIOS to support this, so I guess I'll go over to the MIOS forum to ask those.

PS if anybody knows an already existing MIDI lighting protocol, particularly for supporting multiple control stations, please let me know. I have no problem inventing this from scratch, but it might be nice to support standards if they exist.

I appreciate any comments on this rather amitious use of MidiBox.

John S.

Guest den_Juin

It would be a great improvement to the MIDIbox system.

I'm working on a Mios based bax for use with my DJ equipment, an integrated Lightcontroller would be a very useful thing, I might build a small floorboard too then.