LCD not working reliably

Danchenka

Hi everyone. This is my first post here. I got my sammichSID last week and just finished making it yesterday. For the most part, everything works as expected, so I'm quite happy about that. But, it isn't quite up 100%. The one part that needs to be fixed before I can say it works perfectly is the LCD. It works fine on powerup, but after a few minutes it starts flickering at random times. Sometimes it just dims for a few seconds, or sometimes the backlight goes off completely. It always comes back though. I think it's probably a fairly minor problem and shouldn't be that hard to fix. Anyway, before I open the sammichSID up again, does anyone have any ideas about things I should try? I'm going to try turning down the brightness a little, and I'm going to check my soldering around the trim pots. Other than that, I don't really have any ideas.

All shunts are placed correctly. I checked about a half dozen times over the course of two days.

I'm using an unregulated 12 volt 1 amp AC/DC adaptor.

All voltage checks seem normal. The 12 volt readings showed up as 10.9.

It's a high power backlit green LCD.

The transistor near the trim pots. (I don't remember the number off the top of my head. I think it's something like BC337) is getting very hot. Is this normal, and could it be related to the LCD problem? I'm wondering because I had some concern that I might have damaged it when I built the sammichSID. (When I bent the third lead back, it seemed to suddenly give much less resistance to being bent than I expected, so I worried that I might have broken something internally. It looked fine on the outside though. So without an extra transistor handy, I figured I might as well try using that one.)

Anyway, that's all I can think of for now. I'm posting at work, and the sammichSID is fully assembled at home, so I can't check anything else for awhile. But if anyone has any ideas about things I could try to get the LCD working, or things I should check when I disassemble the sammichSID again so that people can get a better idea of what might be wrong, please let me know. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

• 3 weeks later...