Trouble loading MIOS

Guest dgsonics

Guest dgsonics

Hi there,

Enjoy the project and the forum a great deal!  I had a few problems on the road to the MBHP nirvana, but always found the answers in the MIDIbox forum.  However, the latest one has me stuck.    

My PIC (which has no LCD as of yet to make it really happy as I've not figured out which one to buy) sends out the correct SysEx on power up.  

As my next step I tried to upload MIOS v 1.3 and have the PIC respond with 7 or 8 nine byte messages that have 0F and a different ## for bytes 7 and 8.  But after the upload is over, I still keep getting bootstrap loader SysEx every 2 sec.  Same SysEx every 2 sec after PIC is reset.  My understating is that once MIOS is loaded, bootstrap SysEx is only sent once after the power up.

I also tried to query MIOS with a SysEx, but MIOS never replies back.

Not sure what's going on.  Is there any other way to confirm that MIOS had been loaded without having the LCD connected?  I used MIDI-OX setting to 2048*4, 750ms.

Many thanks,  

You are right. I just blanked out my PIC and after I load the MIOS, it only sends one sysex string on boot up. It doesn't keep sending it. I would guess that something is messed up on you midi in. Double check your connections. Is your diode oriented correctly? Also I have switched the two leads going to the midi jack. Make sure it is connected as if you are looking at the back of the jack.

Just some ideas. I hope you get it working.

As far as an application to load to check if you are working, you can load the Magic Midi Delay program. It starts sending a stream of midi timing events on power up.

Good Luck..

Justin

Guest dgsonics

Thanks for the info and the suggestions.  I've tried to get the MIOS loaded one more time.  During the upload the PIC sends back 13 nine byte SysEx messages, which is exactly what it should be doing according to other posts I saw.  But when the upload is over, it reverts back to sending bootsrap SysEx.  

I wonder if the way my PIC is connected electrically has anything to do with it.  It's actually sitting on the breadboard, with pins 2-4 tied to ground, pin 5 connected to +5 via 1K R, pin 18 & 20 to +5 via 10K R, and DIN according to the schematic.  Are there any other pins/connection that need to be made?

:'(

Yeah, since you are getting those back I guess your midi in is working.

Do you have pin 32  tied to +5? Pin 31 to Ground?

Pin 1 should be tied to +5 via a 100 ohm resistor too.

Pin 11 should be  +5 and Pin 12 should be ground.

Pin 6(not pin 5) should be connected via 1k to +5v

I don't think you need to ground pins 2 through 4. I don't have them grounded on my breadboard and it is working well. It shouldn't hurt though.

Justin

Guest dgsonics

Interesting!  I tried to burn the bootstrap loader for the third time but the MIOS just doesn't want to stick.   I wonder if there is some kind of software issue I’m using the latest versions posted on the site-MIOS 1.3 and  1.1b bootstrap loader.  

I also though about experimenting with burning MIOS and an application with the JDM, but I don't seem to find the program files so that I can do that.  MLAB doesn't support JDM programmer and I'm not that familiar with it as to create a compatible file that has all the software elements needed for the PIC to run.  

Guest dgsonics

:)  I think I got it.  Here's what I did differently this time.  When I burned bootstrap loader I left the Device ID as is e.g all zeros.  Prior to that I had it set to KS0107/0108 compatible LCD (last four digits 1000).  But I as I said in my first post, I don't have the LCD yet, I was just planning ahead.  :-/  Now with the Divece ID set to 0000 all works just fine.  MIOS loaded after the first try, I got back 13 checksums in the process and that's it.  It also responds when I send it MIOS SysEx query, only the responce is 1 byte longer then the query.  May be that OK.  I also loaded the application, but can't confirm that it works as I don't have my set up ready yet.  

My guess is that MIOS was expecting something back from the KS0108 type LCD and when nothing returned, it did not fully load.

One other thing that I had set differently this type in the JDM programmer-i/o delay set to 4 instead of 0.  However, I seriously doubt that it has anything to do with the problem.

Hope this help.  Let me know if this works for you.