sammich 22nf or 470pf

space6oy

aside from having assembled a x0xb0x and switched out some lights & chips in other synths i'm still an amateur with electronics - can someone please tell me what the scenario is with the voltage checking before installing either the 22nf or 470pf capacitors in C1L, C1R, C2L & C2R? seems like that's mentioned in the parts list but skipped in the walkthrough.

just a heads up, also there's not really a conclusion to this sentence in the backlight voltage/current jumpers section:

"Thus, leaving this header open will enable R4A and reduced current, a shunt in this header will disable R4A and the."

Edited by space6oy

no problem, thanks for the help! have another question for you, i'm short one 6 pin 10k ohm resistor & am having a rough time finding one w/o ordering a batch from jameco. guy in an electronics shop is trying to find one for me, but didn't today & isn't open for the weekend, but he told me if he doesn't find one he thinks he can show me how to make an alternative... i have a stockpile of extra resistors, but no multi pins... any suggestions? or must i wait it out? 3 steps away from having this finished up, will drive me nuts!

I apologize for the missing resistor network, I don't know how that could happen, as I definitely count four per kit, and I'm pretty good at counting to four, been doing it for three decades now. :tongue:

I will send you a replacement today, but if you can't wait (or want a temporary fix), you can use five 10K resistors... solder them vertically in the pads that DON'T have the white dot next to it. Then solder a wire vertically in the pad that has the dot next to it. Bend that wire and solder it to the other ends of the resistors, so all the resistors are connected to the "common" pad (with the white dot). I've done this before with home-made DIN modules, it's a bit ugly but works. If you don't have 10K resistors, then anything between 1K and 50K will work just as well, they don't have to be all the same value either. If this is a temporary fix (i.e. you do want to replace it with the right part, right?) maybe leave some room so you can cut the resistors off near the PCB and remove the leads individually.

no apology necessary, it's totally my fault. mistook them for machine pin strips on C1 & 2. removed one safely but couldn't get the other out w/o losing a couple pins. tried to attach replacements but it's too awkward for me. :(

thanks a ton for offering to send a replacement, and for the alternative route - almost sure i have plenty of 10k resistors, will give that a shot & leave room to switch them out again!

To start with, 4.15V is too low.... the 5V regulator should be outputting much closer to 5V, at least 4.9V

Check the voltage going into the 7805, that would be the pin not labelled with a 5V or 0V (ground) label.

What is the 9V voltage like?

I don't know what you mean by "recognized by the software". Do you mean MIOS Studio 2 is not detecting an attached MIDIbox?

I'd say fix your voltage issue first, in case it is low voltage causing the MIDI to not work.

crazy, ok. how many mA would you suggest then? that was one of a few 12v DC supplies i happened to already have, but the highest mA, will have to pick up another.

& nicely done to you as well, the housing & stacked PCB layout are both fantastic!

one of these fit the bill?

http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3875403&numProdsPerPage=60&retainProdsInSession=1&y=9&x=10

http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3807944&numProdsPerPage=60&retainProdsInSession=1&y=9&x=10

http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3875404&numProdsPerPage=60&retainProdsInSession=1&y=9&x=10

Edited by space6oy

I can almost guarantee these are all switchmode not transformer. There's no way you can get 12V DC 2.5A out of a plugpack that small.

You'll need to hunt around some more, or hope some of the builders local to you can help.

"switchmode" and "transformer" are the two types of plugpack internals. Switchmode will be noisy for sammichSID - you'll hear it in the audio. Most of the new plugpacks are switchmode, especially if they're light and high current... I'm pretty sure practically every mobile phone charger is now switchmode. Electronics stores should still stock the old "transformer" kind.

12V AC 500mA works. If using unregulated, any higher than 1000mA (1A) is too much, input voltage would be too high because the current load is much lower than the rating. If it's regulated, it doesn't matter if the current rating is high, as voltage will be constant.