Fixed- sammich - mios cant query device f0 f0 f0

kaleaf

My device is getting weird extra data in mios.

The device loads mios and says ready.

post-6204-12740492617_thumb.jpg

extra f0 f0 f0 before ID

Research in mios guide and this forum post said maybe bad filter cap so I replaced the 2200uf cap, maybe thats not the one, anyway still error.

- this post

Going to try a xp pc next and I bought another bridge rectifier if that might help. Using a 9v 1a power supply, tried other 9v and a 12v.

Any Ideas

Edited by kaleaf

As per other post, since you're using AC supply, problems with the 2200uF cap and bridge rectifier might cause voltage instability.

If you can, see if a known good 12V DC supply (pref. regulated) makes it work.... then you'll know it's related to AC->DC section of the PCB.

Yo, So it works without the top panel I can query it!!

maybe the power from the lcd is droping it

or

tk had told me I do not need 1 of the 100nf yellow guys maybe that is a problem... C4 is blank

also checking everything else

Edited by kaleaf

When I was turning that pot it seemed kinda wacky. I touched up one of the joints that looked good was a little bead shaped. Now everything seems ok still trying to be sure it will query. Seems ok on max bright, before it was med/dark.

I got the upload done.

Going to try sid's.

Edited by kaleaf

Now I am getting extra data at the end of the messages. -EDIT NO its normal I was wrong

post-6204-127407571302_thumb.jpg

Can not query device anymore. I have sid's on and without top panel still no go. Seems like it turns on fine and I can go through the menus. Could not upload patch to test sound.

So I do not know what to do about this power problem or maybe its a midi out issue.

Do not worry about it to much I think I will have to take a break from this for a day or 2.

post-6204-127407571421_thumb.jpg

Edited by kaleaf

OK take a break :wink: post again when you need some help.

I'm pretty sure that 12V DC 500mA should be enough when the backlight is at minimum.

Try taking out the SIDs.

IF you can get everything working nicely without the SIDs then it's most likely a current load issue (or power supply issue).... i.e. the PIC is doing stupid things because it's not getting stable 5V.

Hey its working, This thing is bad ass! Made some patches last night almost got lead engine it all figured out.

Not really sure what fixed it I will list the problems I had though.

First I had no power to J2 (this was in another post)

- bridged connection on the 2200 cap with the small yellow one next to it

- touched up some connections in the power area, bridge rectifier and others

Extra F0 problems

- replaced 2200cap, still had problem

- bad connection (soldering) on one of the trimpot I did it to light and it was not stable

- switched lcd to high power seemed more stable so I left it on that

- reinstalled 6n138 IC2 chip ,, do not know if that did anything but thats when it started working fine, only removed to confirm direction markings.

Did reinstalling the IC2 help, maybe system had to redetect it?

My last question is about LCD. The specs say 5v 128 mA, It looks a little bright on high power can I try it on 12v setting without JR4 current jumper or is that a bad idea? Not worried about that its minor.

I am very happy about this sammich.

Reinstalling IC2 might have fixed something, if the contacts were not good before.

Can you show me a link to the LCD datasheet?

AFAIK there is no requirement for LCD "LED array" backlights to have a specific voltage, like 5V, maybe this is a minimum voltage because of forward voltage drop of two LEDs in series. If it says max current of 128mA (a strange value, actually) then you should configure the base PCB headers JBL and JR4 for "high-power LCD backlight" and set brightness pot less than half-way (probably 1/3 is best).

IC2 is the optocoupler, it's only used for MIDI In. The two wires of a MIDI cable are "looped back" via a LED inside the optocoupler, so it is electrically isolated from the device. The phototransistor inside the optocoupler is what generates the signals to the PIC. It should have no effect on MIDI Out (i.e. if you remove IC2, MIDI Out should still work).

The LCD datasheet suggests you could run the backlight directly with a 5V supply, it has its own current limiting resistors, however, an additional 128mA on the 5V supply might make the 7805 run too hot. So in this context, you could probably run it with JBL=5V and JR4=closed (i.e. normal MIDIbox Core backlight circuit for high-power LCDs, supplied with 5V).... turn the brightness pot down as much as possible to keep current low (avoid heat in heatsinks). The resistors on the LCD should keep the current under 128mA if the supply is 5V (JBL=5V).

FWIW you can test actual current draw of the LCD by connecting your multimeter to read current (amps) passing through the two pins of JBL - instead of a shunt in JBL, you connect the multimeter to JBL instead, so the current goes through the multimeter. That way, you could try the "high power LCD" jumper settings and tweak the brightness pot to get the exact current you want (i.e. <128mA)