Help With Mios and Pics

JRock

Hi y'all. I aquired an almost complete MB-6582 Base PCB and I'm in the process of troubleshooting it. I've been reading and searching and I think I've done most of the homework I can. I could really use some help to get pointed in the right direction.

I checked all the voltages and they match up with the prescribed numbers.

I'm really bad with computers and midi. All my music gear is hardware.

I'm using a Lexicon Lambda interface with a windows XP OS.

I checked some other gear with midiox and I'm outputting and inputting.

In Mios Studio it loops back and sends and receives sysex strings (the letters in the bottom box?)

The LED flickers when I connect it to TX and RX.

It does not flicker when I connect it to pins 4 and 5 (M- and M+) of the output on the MB6582. I tried it both ways round to make sure it wasn't me.

The problem is:

I have 4 pics from Smash. On 0 originally it had the testtone programmed. I thought I uploaded setup 8580. Now on the LCD it counts up patch numbers to 67, stops, reboots and does the whole shtick over again.

I can't get a response from it. In the midi input window it reads f0 00 00 7e 40 00 01 f7.

But it can't get a response from the chip. It keeps telling me to check my midi connection but I'm pretty positive that everything is good till the MB6582.

I checked all the soldering. I retouched anything that looked remotely like a cold joint or bridges. That doesn't mean that is not the cause of the problem though. Does this sound familiar to anyone? Where should I look for the culprit?

Another thing. I noticed the second Pic (Device 1) was getting warm. So I queried device 1 and it says Application Ready to Go! (paraphrase)

I thought maybe it was the chip so I put it in 0 spot but I can't figure out how to change the device number. I don't think you can right? The other 2 chips are nonresponsive.

I was sent a core module as well and when I tried that Pic in 0 spot the LCD comes up as Midibox SID V2 no CS but it will not communicate with MIOS either. Still tells me it can't communicate with the chip in the input window.

I am guessing that since the LED don't flicker when connected to the midi output but all the other tests on the MIOS troubleshooting page are a go that it has something to do with the soldering but I'm out of leads. I've been trying to get this myself for 3 days and I know a lot more than I did but I'm still getting the same results. I could really use some help from someone more experienced and knowledgeable than myself.

Thanks

Am I in the wrong forum?

I should add that I ordered my own boards also and self sourced my components. I'm still waiting for the boards to arrive. It sure is nice to have something to fiddle with in the meantime though...

Now if I could only figure out how to get them to work...