LCD Woes

Valant

So I've managed to break two LCDs so far, or so I think. I'm not familiar with what constitutes as a 'broken LCD'.

Let the trial begin!

Exhibit 1:

post-5551-018783200 1281470219_thumb.jpg

Notice that the first character of each row is missing a column of pixels, and it causes every fourth character to skip a line.

Exhibit 2:

post-5551-063646200 1281470242_thumb.jpg

This is the really frustrating one. I followed Jim Henry's guide to making an LCD cable. Just as he said, the wires are a little flimsy and tend to break after a few weeks. I resoldered the wires, triple checked my connections, and then I was met with this garbled mess. The LCD worked perfectly before I had repaired the wires.

I bought both these LCDs a few months apart from 411techsystems.

The verdict? Common errors? Irreparable? You be the jury.

Hi.

I would say that both of those problems are likely to be caused by missing or swapped data lines or 2 or more data lines connected together (the most common being a solder bridge causing a short)

I would get a multimeter with a continuity buzzer and check that each connection on the core goes to the correct connection on the LCD and check all adjacent connections to make sure there are no shorts.

Looking at your first picture, I would also try to clean the pcb with some isopropanol alcohol as you have lots of flux which could be masking a small bridge. I can see what could be at least one bridge (maybe more) and possibly a broken track where the solder mask has been scratched away.

Generally with LCD displays, if you get any display (even garbled) then it is likely to be a wiring problem :)

Cheers

Phil

Edited by philetaylor