idea for cheap midi recorder...

Steven_C

Just had an idea, it is kinda bodgy, but might work...

It goes like this... You want to sync an audio track to midi, to play live patterns (without carrying a PC with you), or whatever, or even just to set up your bit of gear, before playing it, if it dosen't have a memory or whatever (like my crappy Yamaha keyboard and drum machine... watch out for entry level yamaha gear... it is not what they make it out to be!!) using midi commands...

the device would go like this... A CD player, (or DVD if you have lots of cash! though if you did, you would have done this the proper way instead!) use one audio channel as per usual (you prepare your tracks on PC/CDR) and one channel is connected to an LED/optocoupler triggering circuit, with the threshold set at a level to trigger LED when an audio pulse comes off this special channel...

then you can play mono sound, and midi, in perfect sync, if you want to! (You will also need a circuit to modulate midi output into an audio pulse)

Does anyone know if 20kHz is a fast enough sampling rate for encoding midi data?

If you think I'm a loony, then tell me to be quiet in future! (I probably won't take any notice though! I love non-conventional/innovative solutions!! :+) )

tell me what you guys think...

I know this isn't quite what you are looking for, but I have used discs burned with SMPTE timecode on one track to clock a sequence on the lighting controller, with stellar results.  

If you are interested in working it this way take a look at the midiman syncman devices, I bought one on ebay for less than $20.

It will "stripe the tape" with smpte, then when you play that smpte back through it you get a midi clock (MTC) out of it.

I first tried this as a way to write lighting sequences in advance for some songs that the dj's using my system were playing, and quickly realized that the SMPTE is robust enough to survive +/- 12 pitch shift that the dj's use to beatmix with while still outputting valid timecode that the lighting control could follow.

That's just the way I tackled what you are trying to do, not a perfect solution but one that I could work with.   ;)

Have fun!

SmashTV

Another MIDI interface with tape sync is the Opcode Translator ProSync - it's sitting on my desk.  This will create the sync code you need to record on one track.  I think it works with both Macs and PCs.

This method should work with analogue tape, cassette, DAT, Minidisk, as well as CD-R.

Hey,

I have some sort of smpte/midi box, but I'm not sure what it can do, or how to use it, as I don't have a manual!! (Its made by Aphex... "Studio Clock 800 series" I think) But I wasn't really thinking in terms of timecode, but in actual midi data, like recording a sequence of sysex data or whatever, to set up a device, prior to playing it, in a situation where there is no computer nearby, and my devices have no memory of their own. Maybe you could also record your sysex MBHP dumps and keep them on CD, so you don't need a computer to change setups... eg MB64 sequencer/controller setups, though most people would use this in conjunction with a computer anyway!!

Maybe I've just been thinking too much about midi!