MB6582 psu option C

Suicide Sushi

Hello.

So I am at a crossroad in my MB6582 build.

I have decided to use a custom case and I want to go with PSU option C... But in the documentation there is a warning about overheating, hum and noise with that option. Does anyone have any experience with PSU option C? Is it recommended? Or should I go with PSU option D and use a seperatie PSU that delivers the 5, 9, and 12v?

Thank's a Bunch!

Jeppe / Copenhagen

The short answer is, I had room to stick the pads for a 7805 "just in case" but I have no idea if that would work, esp. since the current draw on the 5V supply is huge (800mA just for 8 SIDs, 100-250mA for LCD, etc).

If you have room, it is probably better to build a separate PSU to deliver what you need for the SIDs you have... ie. 9V and/or 12V for SIDs, 5V for everything else. Or alternately, pass 9V AC to the base PCB and regulated 5V DC that's NOT generated from the same 9V AC supply (but could be from the same transformer) and connect to J1A. i.e. build your own C64 PSU brick.

The short answer is, I had room to stick the pads for a 7805 "just in case" but I have no idea if that would work, esp. since the current draw on the 5V supply is huge (800mA just for 8 SIDs, 100-250mA for LCD, etc).

If you have room, it is probably better to build a separate PSU to deliver what you need for the SIDs you have... ie. 9V and/or 12V for SIDs, 5V for everything else. Or alternately, pass 9V AC to the base PCB and regulated 5V DC that's NOT generated from the same 9V AC supply (but could be from the same transformer) and connect to J1A. i.e. build your own C64 PSU brick.

Hey Wilba. Thank you for the swift answer. I decided to go with PSU option B instead. Since I already have a working C64 PSU it seems like the best solution. And I really don't want to take any big risks with my build... :geek:

Thank's for the very nice PCB design and the very useful documentation. It's very nice to work with!