Upcoming MBHP_MF_NG module

TK.

The cheapest alternative I have found was to use 4 DOGM 2x16 displays at $65 (so about 45 EUR) which are also quite compact

at 230mm width total.

Best,

Alex

But these need an additional backlight module each which again raises the price...

Well the alternative would be something like this: cheaper and even more practical, especially when you would like to break up with the "parallel channels" paradigm. mbhp_glcd_ssd1306.jpg

(This is taken from the programmer's section of the forum, and it's an implementation by TK.)

Could you please provide a link, this looks very nice indeed!

Cheers, Emre

EDIT: Just found the link:

Edited by veermaster

I didn´t mean the OLEDs but the DOGM Displays, but I agree my post can be misunderstanding.

Cheers, Emre

Ordering from Mouser in the US, the cheapest DOGM 2x16 display is $11.41 and the backlight is $2.86.

More if you want white, blue or RGB. The $65 was 4 displays and backlights including shipping within the US.

Alex

Just to be on the safe side:

Is it ok to power the motorfaders directly with a 7,5V switching psu and take the same source to power the Core8 (which has the 7805 bringing the 7,5V down to 5V). I know a dropout voltage of at least 2V is needed so that shouldn´t be a problem, I just ask if there is any other problem when powering both sections by the same switching psu that I don´t know of...?

Thanks in advance, Emre

It's no problem, to power them from the same PSU (BTW: This is the way it's done on TK's shematic too).

What I'm not sure in your question: "Power directly" - Do you mean without a regulator on the "motor side"? If yes, this would be possible too but you can't "tune" the voltage then, which is very assumable to be needed, for the control-regulation to work smoothly (adjusting the speed of the motor).

Greets, Roger

EDIT:

I wouldn't design limitations from the beginning. You're not sure until testing, if 7.5V will be enough for your faders. Better allow the circuit to run up to 10V on the motor side.

Edited by Screaming_Rabbit

It's no problem, to power them from the same PSU (BTW: This is the way it's done on TK's shematic too).

What I'm not sure in your question: "Power directly" - Do you mean without a regulator on the "motor side"? If yes, this would be possible too but you can't "tune" the voltage then, which is very assumable to be needed, for the control-regulation to work smoothly (adjusting the speed of the motor).

Greets, Roger

EDIT:

I wouldn't design limitations from the beginning. You're not sure until testing, if 7.5V will be enough for your faders. Better allow the circuit to run up to 10V on the motor side.

Thank you Roger for your input!

What always worried me was the fact that the datasheet of the Alps Motorfaders says they suck up to 800mA at 10V. For eight faders that would mean max 6,4A which I didn´t know how to realize that easily. So I thought I get a strong switching PSU like

http://www.reichelt.de/Schaltnetzteile-Case-geschlossen/SNT-MW150-7-5/index.html?;ACTION=3;LA=444;GROUP=P861;GROUPID=4959;ARTICLE=85211;START=0;SORT=artnr;OFFSET=1000;SID=28VRnYOKwQARwAABPwTEE00a4566ac3afda6483845e24af133dda which has an adjustable output of 7.13 ~ 8.25V at 20A and use it to power the motors of my faders directly without any regulation inbetween. By also powering the Core8 (with regulation) I would have a load to stabilize the output voltage even when no fader is moving.

Anyhow yesterday I took off the strap/belt (?) of one of the the motors and measured current when run on 7,5V. It was just 20mA, even when I touched the motor to make it work harder (simulating it driving the fader) it only went up to maybe 30/40 mA. Still very far away from 800mA which I guess might only be reached when you fully stop the motor by force, but since later the touch function will stop the motor anyway there is no such high current to be achieved.

So in conclusion a LM317 with its max 1,5A should indeed be enough to power eight faders.

Probably everybody knew all of this before, I´m just thinking loud...

Regards, Emre

Edited by veermaster

I also don't know where these 800mA from Alps come from but I never experienced them to suck this much current.

BTW: Stopping the motor without touch is possible (e.g. something lies on the desk and the fader can't move further). For this case, I'll place a PTC-Resistor into the motor-power feed.

Greets, Roger

Just as an info:

Out of curiosity I measured the current at 7,5V when fully stopping the motor by force: 330mA...

At 9V it´s 380mA...

Roger, thanks for the tip, I´ll just make sure my cat stays at home so nothing gets in the way of my faders ;-)

Cheers, Emre

• 2 weeks later...

Hi

I assembled the MF_V3 on a vector board, unfortunately, it doesn't work :-(

I've uploaded MIOS and the MF_V3 application on an other board, so I know that this could not be the problem.

The LED continues going on and off. This is the only behaviour that the module shows.

All voltages are correct.

I'm sure there must be a problem, but I can't find it. Maybe you can give me a hint whereupon i should look after.

Any ideas?

Thank you!

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

will this mf module be compatible with the LPC17 (and its extensionboard with the external ADCs etc.) without major changes?

This module provides an autarkic handling of motorfaders thanks to the PIC which is part of the module.

Therefore no external ADC or whatever is required when you are using it in conjunction with the LPC17 module - just connect it to a free MIDI IO port.

(Note that a third MIDI IO port is available at J5B.A6/7 of the core module - this will be properly documented once the project is officially released)

Btw.: I ordered some prototypes with SmashTV's layout meanwhile.

If anybody is interested, I will sell them for 8 EUR (high price because of the low quantity that I ordered)

Best Regards, Thorsten.

Meanwhile I got the prototype PCBs... it works!!!

Thanks SmashTV for the great layout! :)

mbhp_mf_ng_final1.jpg

I've 13 spare PCBs which I'm selling for 8 EUR per piece.

If you are interested, just write me a PM with your postal address and PayPal account

Best Regards, Thorsten.