SammichSID buttons not working

altstar

Hi,

Having some issues with my sammichSID here. It was working fine but now none of the buttons/encoder are working. The main PCB is working fine, can control it over MIDI. The only obvious thing is that the LEDs (all of them) are blinking (about once a second). I have tried to re-solder the connectors and re-seated all IC's - no change :-(

Any suggestions?

Regards,

Christoph

PS: I have tried the sammichCSTest.hex test app. LED's are working fine but no response from buttons/encoder.

Do the LEDs blink while the sammichCSTest app is running? They're supposed to cycle through, what I mean is, do all the LEDs go off for moments like when you run the MB-SID app?

No response from buttons/encoder could be a bad solder joint on the "SI" (serial input) pin of the J8/J9 header... the "SO" (serial output) pin is what controls the LEDs.

I suspect that if both LEDs and buttons/encoders don't work, the problem might be related, so check all pins on J8/J9 and where it connects on the base. There could be a short between pins, or a bad solder joint.

In email, you wrote: "When I try to "Query" the device in MIOS Studio it just reboots! Same if I try to upload the firmware. Funnily enough I can play notes via MIOS Studio on the SammichSID....." Has this problem totally gone away? What did you do to fix this, if anything? A lot of the time, problems are related, so it helps troubleshooting to know what else was wrong.

Check you have the 74HC165 and 74HC595 in the right places. Try swapping the 74HC165 and test again with the sammichCSTest app - if the one closest to the header is dead, but the other good, swapping them will make half the buttons work.

Do the LEDs blink while the sammichCSTest app is running? They're supposed to cycle through, what I mean is, do all the LEDs go off for moments like when you run the MB-SID app?

Yes, they do - the display and the LEDs are fine.

No response from buttons/encoder could be a bad solder joint on the "SI" (serial input) pin of the J8/J9 header... the "SO" (serial output) pin is what controls the LEDs.

Re-soldered and tested both connections - they should be fine.

I suspect that if both LEDs and buttons/encoders don't work, the problem might be related, so check all pins on J8/J9 and where it connects on the base. There could be a short between pins, or a bad solder joint.

LED work, just the buttons an the encoder. Do you think it would help to re-solder pins of the PIC socket - which pin is used for SI?

In email, you wrote: "When I try to "Query" the device in MIOS Studio it just reboots! Same if I try to upload the firmware. Funnily enough I can play notes via MIOS Studio on the sammichSID....." Has this problem totally gone away? What did you do to fix this, if anything? A lot of the time, problems are related, so it helps troubleshooting to know what else was wrong.

Fixed. Was a problem between the USB MIDI interface and the OS.

Check you have the 74HC165 and 74HC595 in the right places. Try swapping the 74HC165 and test again with the sammichCSTest app - if the one closest to the header is dead, but the other good, swapping them will make half the buttons work.

Tried it, no change :-(