Building a SID in a modular synth ... any thoughts on using opamp to juice the signal up to synth levels?

JRock

Just wondering if anybody has run their SID through their modular synth. I imagine the low levels equal crappy results... Have any of you rigged up a little opamp amplifier? I guess I should check out the SSM2044 filter a litter more.

Should be easy enough to figger out... I just don't want to reinvent the wheel if I don't have to.

Love to hear some suggestions :thumbsup:

Thanks

Edited by JRock

I have 2 stereo SID boards with different types of BC547, different manufacturers that is ( I didn't have enough in my parts bin to make them all the same ). The levels are radically different between the 2 boards. The alternative may be to try different transistors rather than an opamp.

I was going to make a CMoy-inspired amp to put on the end of the MB6582 passive mixer design. Works fantastic for cleaning up and amplifying my NES so that's that route you could look at. The sammichFM design also uses op-amps for amplification, so you might check that as well. I haven't seen a need to use an amp myself - line-level from the SIDs sound pretty loud to me using the passive mixer on the MB-6582. I am mostly doing the CMoy route as a way to get a volume knob and protect my inputs a bit.

+1 for CMOY.

I'd put it in the modular, so you could also use it for other sources.

You could also replace r24/r25 on the ssm2044-pcb with pots, but i think this would also change the tone a bit.

Another Problem would be, that this amplification is not used, when the filter is bypassed.