Max/MSP Editor?

mda

Hi,

I am just about to begin building a stereo SID (2x 6581s) and will add 2x 8580s in the future for the best of both worlds when I get my hands on a couple.

As I am still waiting for some of the minimal control surface parts to arrive (and a replacement power supply) I was thinking of getting started building an Editor in Max/MSP, so I can start playing straight away via MIDI before I finish the control surface.

I've got the SID_V2 parameter / CC / sysex implementation charts and am gradually getting my head around them (adding for left/right/stereo's a bit confusing at first glance, although still need to re-read the walk-through a few more times yet still). Brings back fond memories of building mixermaps in Cubase on the Atari and programming the Kenton Control Freak to get at all the hidden features on the MC303 and other gear I haven't used in years.

Any advice on using CCs over sysex or vice versa with regards to 7bit vs 14bit ranges (are the limited 128 values noticeably stepped for example)? Any other advantages of one way over the other? Or should I just plump for the best resolution regardless?

Most importantly, has anyone already built any Max/MSP patches for the SID_V3 or will I be starting from scratch?

I realise there's now the ctrlr editor, but Max/MSP will allow for some crazy controlling of the SID...