Experimental Prototype for programming

nocontrol

Hey,

I was wondering, if, before getting involved in the hardware design and development stage of creating my midibox project.

Perhaps it would be an idea for me to simply buy a prototype board that will work off the shelf with MIOS which I can use to experiment programming up code to use to control my DAW such a Logic etc.

I know there are loads of prototype development boards on the market, some with basic electric components built in that can be used as the basis for testing out code.

Can anyone recommend a prototyping / developmental board that is compatible with MIOS, which can be set up easily to connect with PC/MAC to interface with Logic Pro and that has electronic components built in such as buttons, led's, rotary encoders, an LCD Screen and even a fader?

Alternatively I guess i could buy something like the STM32F4 discovery development board and buy some electronic components to use with the board built in header pins and use a bread board with the components i mentioned.

Cheers

Justin

Rightly or wrongly the MIDIbox platform has always had a very strong DIY ethos. This means that although kits are available, they still need to be assembled by someone.

MIOS compatible hardware is pretty much limited to the published designs.

Although it's very new, the STM32F4 Discovery board is probably the closest thing yet to pre-built MIOS32 board, although it lacks interfaces one would probably want such as UART MIDI ports etc.

If you can bring yourself to solder an LPC17 core board you'll have a platform that is ready to go with a whole range of project options (most will require some additional I/O, again easily assembled from kits). 

Hi Duggle.

Thanks for your advice. i just had a look at the discovery boards from STM.

I think I may go down the STM32F4 Discovery board route, as at the moment for me. learning to program for emebedded electronics

is my present objective. rather than building. I think that one of the discovery boards has a couple of buttons, a potentiometer and a LCD display built in,

plus an area that has a number of GPIO pins to hook up other electronic components on a bread board.

Probably all i need to start. And if I enjoy the programming, then I may take it to the next level and design and build the hardware.

For learning programming for the STM discovery ARM boards, the IAR kick starter pack looks the best although fairly expensive.