SEQV4 - One Solution Power Supply

cosmosuave

Hello...

Looking for an all for one power supply for my SEQV4 and the issue is I require a 12v bi-polar PS for the AOUT NG module and at the same time the core requires 5v... I do not want to have to plug in 2 leads to supply the AOUT NG and supply core (powered USB hub as suggested)... I imagine I can tap off the bi-polar supply with a voltage regulator and some caps to get my 5v for the core... 

Who has done this and could they provide some insight?

Thanks...

This is the bi-polar supply I am looking to build...

http://www.musicfromouterspace.com/analogsynth_new/WALLWARTSUPPLY/WALLWARTSUPPLY.php

Thanks for the suggestion Hawkeye but upon searching it looks like an ATX PSU will work as it has +/- 12v and 5v and 3v outputs... THe one I am looking at has a fan but I am sure I won't need it for my appliaction and will need to mod this to fit in a case of the sequencer...

http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=8533107&CatId=1078

Power Supply Specifications Form Factor ATX Wattage 400W Fan 120 mm Input Voltage 100 ~ 240 VAC +3.3V 22 A +5V 22 A +12V 1 18 A +12V Rails 1 -12V 0.5 A +5VSB 2.0 A

Hola,

no problem, man :)

Be careful, that standard PC ATX PSUs (can also be bought used on ebay for around 1$/€ + shipping) are very inefficent when not under load - and some even may need a dummy load to operate. I´ve been using them as cheap +12V supplies for my chargers for a while, but some would not work (or power down instantly) without a few watts drained on the 5V rail. The SEQ V4 may not draw enough amps there...

Many greets,

Peter

Found how to do it... Love the internet...

http://www.wikihow.com/Convert-a-Computer-ATX-Power-Supply-to-a-Lab-Power-Supply

Note that some power supplies may have either a gray or brown wire to represent "power good"/"power ok". (Most PSU's have a smaller orange wire that is used for sensing-- 3.3V- and this wire is usually paired at the connector to another orange wire. Make sure this wire is connected to the other orange wires, otherwise your lab power supply won't stay on.) This wire should be connected to either an orange wire (+3.3V) or a red wire (+5V) for the power supply to function. When in doubt, try the lower voltage first (+3.3V). If a power supply is non ATX or AT compliant, it may have its own color scheme. If yours looks different that the pictures shown here, make sure you reference the position of the wires attached to the AT/ATX connector rather than the colors.

• 2 months later...

I have another question about the PSU for a SEQ V4,

Particulary about the switching power supply.

I know people of mutable instruments building euroracks, are using the mean well T-60B, without any problem.

What about power the SEQV4, with theses kind of PSU ?

Maybe something like this :

Mean well T-40B : http://www.meanwell.com/search/T-40/default.htm

(no more avialable :sad:  )

With a switching frequency over 40kHz, i think there won,t be an problem ? (maybe i'm wrong)

With this one, the switching frequency is 70kHz +/-10%, so what about this one ?

3.5A for the 5V, enough for the SEQV4, AOUT_NG, and a BLM.

Here is some risk to use it first only with the SEQV4 ? (I mean, can i damage something by having 3.5A)

Thanks for your answer ! Bye  :smile: 

Hola,

no harm can be done, the amps rating (3.5A) is the maximum output power, the PSU will serve only as much as is needed by the SEQ V4.

Am using a similar switcher on 5V for the SEQ, too, and it is a good solution. But I have not built the AOUT module yet, this is where the switching might be critical - but you are right, probably there won´t be a problem with such a high switching frequency, and filtering with a few small caps :).

Many greets,

Peter