thanks to Ilmenator and Shuriken my silly hardware issue is now resolved. The second thing is a software issue. The MB-6582 has all four cores stuffed but only 1 & 2 have SID's (8580's)
I managed to upload the setup_mb6582.hex package to the first core, which is now in perfect working order. Reading thru the forum, I found that I must clone the firmware to the other cores (press menu on power up). It starts the cloning sequence and says on the LCD:
Cloning Slave 01
SUCCESS! My hunch panned out... So now I have all cores working properly, with the correct Device ID's...
Once again, in the end the process was simple and straight forward, but easy enough to get confused with...
For anyone that's interested in a step-by-step guide, here's what I did...
Step 1: Write the basic bootloader to all 4 of your PICs
Step 2: Place the PIC that will become the Master Core 1 into the correct Socket, launch MIOS on your computer and access it as