MIOS Studio can't find MBSEQv4

jjonas

Hi,

I have a newly installed Ubuntu 14.04 LTS on my laptop (64bit) and I've been trying to get MIOS Studio working on it so that I can update the seq firmware without having to rip it out of the setup and take it to my desktop computer for updating. I've managed to get the Ubuntu-compiled 2.4.6. version (from the MIOS Studio page) working by installing a few 32bit dependencies etc., so now MIOS Studio itself is running, but it can't find the seq – either on STM32F4 or LPC1769 boards. The seq is connected to the computer with a micro usb cable, which is the power source as well.

The same version of MIOS Studio (2.4.6.) and setup works just fine on my desktop computer which is running Ubuntu 15.10. However, on the laptop, MIOS Studio's MIDI IN options offer only <<none>>, while MIDI OUT options offer <<none>>, Midi Through, and Midibox SEQ V4 (1)–(4).

lsusb seems to recognise the device, which for some strange reason it's called Van Ooijen Technische Informatica (=VOTI), i.e. the guy/company who sells electronic knick-knacks at voti.nl, and whom I remember being mentioned somewhere on this site many years ago when I was building my first midibox. The first question is: WTF has VOTI to do with the device! :-)  and second question is, is there some obvious dependencies, kernel modules etc. that I should install, or settings I should tweak, in order to make MIOS Studio talk to the seq?

BTW perhaps it could be mentioned on the MIOS Studio page that the Ubuntu-compiled version is 32bit. For a while I was confused why I couldn't get it to run on the newly installed Ubuntu 14.04 LTS, and the reason was that it was a 64bit install and had no 32bit dependencies (like I had on the desktop computer for other reasons).