has anyone tried midibox+serial to usb converter?

Guest Ryan

I have the same question and I beleive I'll have the answer one of these days!

My Mbox has LTC module, and I asked a friend from a computer hardware company to save for me one of those converters (I need it for the laptop).

He claims that some company bought those for some very old applications which had some kind of protection on serial port, so I beleive it should work ok. It must be reckognized as a serial port on the host computer, otherwise I don't think drivers will work.

You never know  :-/   I'll test it this weekend and post results here.

IT WORKS!  ;)

System specs:

ASUS Laptop, Intel Celeron 2.xGHz

Many USB ports (more than 4, 2 of them declared USB2.0)

Windows XP proffessional

The cable (I have to return it to the source, no image, sorry :( ) is made by some anonymous (unknown) eastern company. Looks like those fancy modern mac-like peripherals: transparent cables and connectors in some color. Comes with an optional 9-25 pin connector, one cable USB->9pin COM cable and CD with drivers.

When you plug USB cable, pop-up comes out asking for drivers. CD was full with bunch of various drivers, so first I tried USB2.0->COM, and got an error - Windows was screaming that it was not proper driver for this hardware. I tried with other one (USB1.1->COM), and succeded. WinXP complained about "certified" drivers, but that's OK.

For LTC module, I use Kawai serial driver (have a look on www.ucapps.de for download address) because of all drivers I've ever tested for WinXP, only this one ever worked properly. So I installed it, and got settings panel where I can choose either COM1 or COM2. The USB device was COM5. I went to control panel, moved modem to COM5, moved USB device to COM2, started Kawai serial port driver settings, choosed COM2, restarted system, installed MIDIOX and everything worked as expected. Midi messages all around ;)

The only problem (didn't have much time to test it properly, maybe I'm wrong) is that every time you plug that USB cable, Windows needs drivers  :-/

I beleive I'm going to get one of these (it's something like 15 Euro) for live gigs (my midibox is Traktor mixing panel) as soon as I get USB audio card and USB rack (for external HDD). Right now, I'm out of money for this extravaganza :(

I hope that I helped you ;)

Thanks you very much rogic! that was very helpfull... now i know i wont have to build the usb module for live gigs. It would be cheaper to buy the usb-serial adaptor and its available in my country the midiman is more expensive and hard to find here!

Thanks again man!

Ryan

Hey listen instead of buying an external hd like I did (USB2 Ikebana 120g)  buy a hd ENCLOSURE (various ones connect usb and firewire.  That way youll save $$$  I shouldve done the same thing when it was mentioned BEFORE I bought the Ikebana but I guess uh, forgot....

Good luck man, another live lappy user eager to make his own boxes!  (almost ready to order)