too much power?

Guest jimminy

Guest jimminy

I'm using a 9VDC wallwart for my power supply, and when I've tested my Core it seems to work fine (sweet fancy moses! it works!), but I've also noticed that when measured, my multitester is showing that it's outputting closer to 13VDC.  Is this normal, and will this do any damage to my core if I continue to use it?

Guest jimminy

I think this is what I'm doing, measuring the power pins with the unit plugged in and running.    I guess the important thing is that the pins on the IC that should have 5V have 5V, which they do.  

I'm just worried that there may be some degradation over time that will lead to something burning out, or that it will overheat.

If this is normal then I won't worry about it, otherwise I can use a different wall wart.

Thanks

In that case, well... does the regulator get really hot?

not real sure, other than it says on the core page 7-10 volts.Perhaps if you ran it through a 7809 first? Probably better to just get a wall wart in the 7-10 volt range. I buy'em up cheap at flea markets and thrift stores....you never seem to have enough.keep one in the studio and one in the gig box!