Some basic questions

DieCastBlue

Hi All!

I have been reading around these forums for a few weeks now, and im very impressed and excited about making my new box (as soon as I get my student loan! :).

Anyway, i just have a few questions that I couldn't find answeres to.

1) What type of power supply would be prefrable, an external power pack/plug thing, or an internal transformer. I guess it will work better the cleaner the power supply?

2) The pictures of the CORE module on SmashTV's site have normal SIL connectors, where as on uCApps they have locking type connectors, is it possible to fit the locking type on Smash's boards

3) Should all the buttons be momentary, does it matter, or can you change how you want it to react in MIOS

4) In the 'roadmap' post, TK says the planned release date for Midibox NG will be 25th of Feb 2004. Whats happening with this? I cant seem to find anything else on it.

5) I just found the one thread about the nokia 3310 LCD, very cool, and I am currently trying to scavenge as many as I can for $0  :P

Is It possible to have the 8 of these connected as well as a 40x2 character LCD? and im guessing id have to program in ASM what I would want on each of the nokia screens?

6) Also on the nokia LCD's. I noticed there are a few diffrent types. two eaysest to get hold of being the LPH-7779 (3310 3315 3330 5510) and the LPH-7366 (5110 5130 6110 6150 etc). The first has little pads that you can solder wires to, as TK did in the LCD post, but does anyone know what type of connection the other LCD has? I know it has 9 instead of 8 pins, but i think it has smaller connectors that I cant solder too? is it usless? it just that the 7366 seems to be cheaper to buy, 2.95 pound on EBAY

Thanks if you can help me wth any of the above, and sorry for the long post!

And a shout out to all my other NZ Midiboxers!

Guest psytron

hello diecastblue

welcome

1) either will do, for beginners most people will recomend using a plug pack so you will never have to play with mains voltage levels. it is good to be able to learn from mistakes and not die from them. ;)

2)both sets of sill headers have the same spacing between holes so use whatever you want/can find.

3)Momentary is the way to go(it can be changed tho)

4)tk is a busy man i think he has been concentrating on the mbseq lately.

5)i think you will get some info displayed on the nokia lcds depending on the app you are using. customisation may be prefurable to you tho.

6) dunno  ::)

for 4: The MBLC is something like the NG already. TK said something about that. Building a NG is pretty useless as the LC/MC/HC(the HC is not tested yet!!) are all doing this job already. Check out the LC tutorial in the miscellaneous topic.

for 5 again: You don´t have to do it *all* in Ass. The most is already done in MIOS (kinda easy vs. Ass).

for 6: do you eventually know the type of the controller (that lil IC on there)?

• 3 months later...
6) Also on the nokia LCD's. I noticed there are a few diffrent types. two eaysest to get hold of being the LPH-7779 (3310 3315 3330 5510) and the LPH-7366 (5110 5130 6110 6150 etc). The first has little pads that you can solder wires to, as TK did in the LCD post, but does anyone know what type of connection the other LCD has? I know it has 9 instead of 8 pins, but i think it has smaller connectors that I cant solder too? is it usless? it just that the 7366 seems to be cheaper to buy, 2.95 pound on EBAY

When I search for the Nokia 3310 display on Ebay, I only find ones with the pushbutton field http://cgi.ebay.de/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=40568&item=6307485551&rd=1. Does anybody know about those are the same as Thorsten wrote the driver for and how hard it is to desolder them?

Thanks and Greets

Roger

• 1 month later...

... trying it again   :o, since it's a certain time ago.

When I search for the Nokia 3310 display on Ebay, I only find ones with the pushbutton field http://cgi.ebay.de/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=40568&item =6307485551&rd=1. Does anybody know about those are the same as Thorsten wrote the driver for and how hard it is to desolder them?

Link doesn´t work, but anyhow:

This is kinda normal, because the LCDs are always in some plastic holder with those pins.

You won´t have to desolder anything, it´s all snapped in there (you´re pretty likely to break the plastic when you unsnap the LCD, but this does not matter in any way). As you got that LCD out you´ll see that the copper pins are very nicely to solder some wires to them.

Greetz!