toner transfer method tip

Guest kostix

Guest kostix

Hey guys, if anyone is using the toner transfer method for creating your pcbs, a little time ago a friend recommended me printing the pattern on sheets from old magazines, but i didnt have a laser printer until now

couple of day got a Minolta laser printer and decided to try this out..

the results were outstanding ..

its takes a little bit of time to get used to it as heating times are shorter, but if u get it right , u can make pcbs for surface mount devices with pretty good precision !

any old magazine which has this glossy kinda paper will work ;)

just my bit :)

ciaoo

Guest kostix

Hey guys, if anyone is using the toner transfer method for creating your pcbs, a little time ago a friend recommended me printing the pattern on sheets from old magazines, but i didnt have a laser printer until now

couple of day got a Minolta laser printer and decided to try this out..

the results were outstanding ..

its takes a little bit of time to get used to it as heating times are shorter, but if u get it right , u can make pcbs for surface mount devices with pretty good precision !

any old magazine which has this glossy kinda paper will work ;)

just my bit :)

ciaoo

Guest kostix

hey hey

I usually put it in the cold running water immediatelly after ironing,  this way the cold fixes/hardens the toner.

Sometimes i'll peel the paper off right there under the running water,  other times after the cold water, i put it under hot (warm) running water so that the paper takes off easier ;)

cheers

Guest kostix

hey hey

I usually put it in the cold running water immediatelly after ironing,  this way the cold fixes/hardens the toner.

Sometimes i'll peel the paper off right there under the running water,  other times after the cold water, i put it under hot (warm) running water so that the paper takes off easier ;)

cheers

Hi,

I have done this too.. Still haven't found a perfect way:

If I put pcb under a cold running water, it's harder to peel paper off.. sometimes I have to scratch it off and there are still small pieces of paper left. Almost all toner is stick to copper.

If I just iron it and then peel the paper, paper comes of nicely, with toner left on it, and the figure left on pcb seems sharper (and of course thinner).

Bye, Moebius

Hi,

I have done this too.. Still haven't found a perfect way:

If I put pcb under a cold running water, it's harder to peel paper off.. sometimes I have to scratch it off and there are still small pieces of paper left. Almost all toner is stick to copper.

If I just iron it and then peel the paper, paper comes of nicely, with toner left on it, and the figure left on pcb seems sharper (and of course thinner).

Bye, Moebius

Guest kostix

moebius: you ever tried printing on  magazine front page ? the very glossy kinda paper

if you sink that in running water for a while, then get the paper off,

then roll the rest of the paper, its a bit hard to do, but when well moistured it will eventually come off

then scrub the rests gently with your nails right there under the running water

all paper will come off, and when u dry it u'll have a very black, shiny, glossy print very tightly glued to the pcb

i loved this with my first try

made a little 16 wide soic to dip adapter board

good luck

Guest kostix

moebius: you ever tried printing on  magazine front page ? the very glossy kinda paper

if you sink that in running water for a while, then get the paper off,

then roll the rest of the paper, its a bit hard to do, but when well moistured it will eventually come off

then scrub the rests gently with your nails right there under the running water

all paper will come off, and when u dry it u'll have a very black, shiny, glossy print very tightly glued to the pcb

i loved this with my first try

made a little 16 wide soic to dip adapter board

good luck

I have tried several different glossy materials: magazine frontpages (only thicker ones), brochure paper, ready printed sample inkjet photopaper ect.

I think I'll buy inkjet photopaper, when I find it on special discount. It might leave it's top layer on PCB, but you can  rub PCB pretty hard, even with sandpaper, before toner starts to fade :)

Bye, Moebius

DamDiDam: p.s. Anyone else tried this method on acryl plastic/ metal..  ;D

I have tried several different glossy materials: magazine frontpages (only thicker ones), brochure paper, ready printed sample inkjet photopaper ect.

I think I'll buy inkjet photopaper, when I find it on special discount. It might leave it's top layer on PCB, but you can  rub PCB pretty hard, even with sandpaper, before toner starts to fade :)

Bye, Moebius

DamDiDam: p.s. Anyone else tried this method on acryl plastic/ metal..  ;D