Help -- more beginner questions

Guest brandon

Guest brandon

I've just put together my first core and SID units and the basic power supply (reusing the c64 unit). I'm looking to test the voltages as described, but am getting no readings on the core unit.

This being said I've got a few questions:

1. The schematic for the power supply circuit has labelled the C64 power plug (front view). Is this really the front view of the plug or the front view of the connector?

2. What can I do to validate my power supply circuit?

3. I've double checked the placement and connections of all my parts in the core module --  is there anything else I can do?

4. The schematic for the power supply shows the SID module connected to the core unit. Do I need them connected to test the voltages on the core unit?

I know these problems are quite open-ended but any new direction would be much appreciated.

Cheers,

Brandon

Guest brandon

I've just put together my first core and SID units and the basic power supply (reusing the c64 unit). I'm looking to test the voltages as described, but am getting no readings on the core unit.

This being said I've got a few questions:

1. The schematic for the power supply circuit has labelled the C64 power plug (front view). Is this really the front view of the plug or the front view of the connector?

3. I've double checked the placement and connections of all my parts in the core module --  is there anything else I can do?

4. The schematic for the power supply shows the SID module connected to the core unit. Do I need them connected to test the voltages on the core unit?

I know these problems are quite open-ended but any new direction would be much appreciated.

Cheers,

Brandon

I'm looking to test the voltages as described, but am getting no readings on the core unit.

I bought some C64s recently. There were different PSUs, also in different housings, and they sometimes have the second 5V line on the other side. So it is quite irrelevant if the schematic shows the plug or the connector as both can be the right answer...

If you look on the C64 main board you´ll notice the two pins beside the center pin are connected to the same PCB line - the easiest solution would be to also do this on your PSU board.

Use your multimeter - first check if you really got 5V from the PSU jack, then check if you got the 5V also on the connection to the core module. If you haven´t made any shorts on the PSU board and you´ve double checked the wiring on the PSU board I suppose you don´t have 5V from the start (the Jack, see above).

I don´t think the problem is on the core module - if 5V go in, there must be at least some point where you can also measure them...

If you´re unsure about your PSU cirquit you can also take out the 5V connections to the regulator for testing. The rest is just a connection from the PSU jack to the core with the two caps inbetween, so there won´t be much posiibilities to do anything wrong.

No, the connection between core and SID is only for data when you use the PSU optimized solution. The core must always run on its own.

Hope this helps,

Seppoman

I'm looking to test the voltages as described, but am getting no readings on the core unit.

I bought some C64s recently. There were different PSUs, also in different housings, and they sometimes have the second 5V line on the other side. So it is quite irrelevant if the schematic shows the plug or the connector as both can be the right answer...

If you look on the C64 main board you´ll notice the two pins beside the center pin are connected to the same PCB line - the easiest solution would be to also do this on your PSU board.

Use your multimeter - first check if you really got 5V from the PSU jack, then check if you got the 5V also on the connection to the core module. If you haven´t made any shorts on the PSU board and you´ve double checked the wiring on the PSU board I suppose you don´t have 5V from the start (the Jack, see above).

I don´t think the problem is on the core module - if 5V go in, there must be at least some point where you can also measure them...

If you´re unsure about your PSU cirquit you can also take out the 5V connections to the regulator for testing. The rest is just a connection from the PSU jack to the core with the two caps inbetween, so there won´t be much posiibilities to do anything wrong.

No, the connection between core and SID is only for data when you use the PSU optimized solution. The core must always run on its own.

Hope this helps,

Seppoman