possible midibox implementation?

tgp

hey,

im thinking about how i could make a samping unit using midibox hardware.

would have 8 banks, one audio input, and an audio out. user could select a bank by pressing the channel button, then any audio input within the next X seconds gets written to its memory.

so it would be like an sampler, where you could overdub over previously recorded material. my main input audio signal would be from a guitar.

i thought about using banksticks for memory, but thought it might be way to small. what other storage device/chip could i use?

i know i could do this easily just with a midi footcontroller and Max/MSP making a sampling plugin, but would like to make it a standalone device.

any help GREATLY appreciated.

let me know how far off i am!

thanks.

t

hi,

MBHP is an excellent platform to develop the user interface and controller of your project, but for the  sampler functionality, it will need a dsp/digital audio subsystem which MBHP does not (yet!) have.

Miss Parker looks like a very promising open source dsp unit that is midi controlled. I dont know about its RAM capacity/expandability, but the combation of Midibox control surface and DSP would be a great combo!

cheers      

this sounds like an akai headrush to me.. looping is very popular in these parts right now.. people are using a variety of solutions from reel to reel tape through digital delay (danelectro or 2x boss pedals) to laptops running cubase

bugbrand has made a dirty sampler

http://www.knowledgeofbugs.co.uk/bugbrand/index2.htm

www.smallbearelec.com has an assortment of old reverb and delay ic's

best wishes

adam