Yamaha to Roland pedal conversion?

rodneon

I recently bought a Yamaha FC7 pedal to use with my Roland A-33, which will eventually be part of a MIDIbox setup -- so this isn't completely off-topic ;)

The problem is, the resistance values don't match. According to a technician at Sweetwater:

The (Roland) pedal diagram shows an 8Kohm pedal pot between the tip and ring, and

a 50Kohm trim pot in-line with the shield.

The Yamaha FC7 manual states that the resistance between tip and ring is 50Kohm, the same between tip and shield. However, there doesn't seem to be a "trim pot in-line with the shield", which probably doesn't matter much here.

I wouldn't give the feel of that pedal for anything, especially for those crappy, cheap-feeling Roland pedals. Is there any way to "convert" the tip-ring resistance range of the Yamaha pedal from 50Kohm to 8Kohm?

I'm fairly new to electronics, so bear with me. Can I apply the parallel resistance formula to solve this problem? I mean:

Re = (R1 * R2) / (R1 + R2)

8 = (50 * x) / (50 + x)

x = 9.524 Kohms

Which would mean a 10 Kohm resistor in parallel with the tip and ring would solve the problem. Right? Wrong? Any input would be much appreciated.

The fix is actually easier than I thought. I figured it out, after much fiddling... all you have to do is swap the wires between tip and ring. That's it. So I answered my own question, but the info is here forever, if anyone ever runs into the same problem.