Effect Switching

akeong

Hello,

I don't know where to start, I am new guy here.  I Know how to solder but don't know about PIC world :(

I want to build a stompbox switcher for my own use, something like a Looper with switching function and extra programmable setting to store the setup.  I am thinking of something like GCX or (too advance!) the switchblade and much simpler is RFX Patchwork or Nobels (has only 4 analog switcher) also skrydstrup stuff

I have the schematic of patchwork and nobels MF-2 but not sure if that can be build without programming skills :(

Can somebody help me where to start here.  Any information will be help and much appreciated.

Thanks a lot

It should be pretty trivial...

Looking at the patchworks you can just lift the part of the circuit that's in the middle right (the relays and everything to the of them). That handles all the switching - everything else is just control circuitry which you can handle with standard modules. In fact that circuit is pretty modular - there's the input, and then four subcircuits which each handle one loop. You could build a tiny circuit to handle one loop, and then duplicate it as many times as needed.

You simply need a core and a dout (you could probably skimp on this, but probably not worth it). One dout drives one loop, so you can scale the system as large as you need.

You will need some programming it it's very simple - like 5-10 lines of code! Just wait for a midi event (patch change), and depending on the number you get send a different value to dout. To keep it simple you don't need to make the device reprogrammable from the front panel, but rather can write a new program and download it to set up new patch configurations - I'm assuming the whole point is that there are a few basic setting you want, and these aren't going to change. You can add patch programming (either via midi or buttons latter), and get as complex as you like, but you can start simple...

The patchworks is basic in that it just has four loops that get switched in and out, without options to change the order, but if you've got the relay swiching board working for one pedal you can just make more to generate some REALLY complex systems.

Ian