Learning to play the guitar

kangoo

Hi, Everyone

I've taken on learning to play the (electric) guitar today , I have never actually held a string instruments in my hands until today (so far, so good !).

Any suggestions on a good learning approach: websites, instuction books or videos, etc... ?

Any advice to a guitar newb like me would be greatly appreciated :)

Start with an A power chord:

5th fret on bottom (fattest) E string

7th on A (next) string)

7th on D (next again) string

This is your lifesaver - bluff yourway on electric guitar chord. It's the only one you need...

Unlike keys all the frets on the guitar are equally spaced (1 semitone), so move down to 5/7/7 (just moveyour entire hand, keeping your fingers in the same shape) and youve got a G (two semis lower). You can also move it up a string so you start on the A string X/5/7/7 which is D. Practise moving them around so you know how to find the different chords and how different movements sound. Get comfortable with it (perhaps the most critical part).

The chord can operate as major or minor, so you can play it over anything - stick a bunch of distortion and reverb on, add attitude and you're good to go :-)

Once you've got that down, you can start mixing in more complex chords

Ian