external PC-PSU(5V-2A,12V-2A) for 28€: suitable for LC?

rambinator

Hi!

I still didn't find a good PSU for my MBLC, i still use a wallplug + a lab-PSU.

Now I stumbled accross a PSU which is an external PSU for PC komponents.

You can get 2A from both, 5V and 12V.

It costs 28€. Thats not cheap but I didn't find anything better yet.

They also seem to have good ones at Dehner but they don't sell to private

customers.

Here's a link to the device:

http://www.hardwareshop4u.de/catalog/product_info.php/cPath/507_1272/products_id/10740

And a review in german:

http://www.exclaim.de/tests/artikel/212_1/Externes-Universal-Netzeil.html

Could you please comment on this one as I am desperately seeking for somethin that will really work.

I also thought about building one with two enclosed transformers on a breadboard (I think someone suggested something

like that and I also saw a picture somewhere on the forum) but I have bad experiences with high voltage so I'm afraid

of doing it.

cheers

Rambinator

Hi!

It´s ok to be carefull with high Voltages ;D

I´m shure, you can find some shematics in the www.... but BE CAREFULL!!

The external PC-PSU seems to be ok,.....  but I don´t really know if it´s perfect.... perhaps it´s cheaper to build your own one..... look for different  DIY PSU shematics or projects with google... sometimes you can find well documented projects,... but ask if your not shure what you´re doing, it´s DANGEROUS to work with high voltages....

sorry, not more at the moment.....

Greets,

pwx

• 1 month later...

Hi guys!

I finally bought this thing and it's working really good. It delivers enough current on the 12V for the motorfaders. It's also easy to handle. You have this small box with the on/off switch, a plug and thwo leds which you can rip and build into your box. You don't have to hassle arround with trafos and it's safe to use. One of the negative aspects is that it only has 5V on the other rail so you have to connect it directly to the core because it would drop below 5 through the voltage regulator. But anyway the 5V are stable and I trust this PSU so it shouldn't be a problem. I also didn't protect the box with fuses, should I?

Conclusion:

- If you have your own PSU design use it!

- If you get another wallplug for free or if you can test before you buy and it's cheap, go for it!

- If you don't want to try all these pollin.de PSUs with trial and error and if you are confused with all the other

MBLC/PSU threads like  me, you can buy this one, although it's quite expensive

- It's widely available worldwide it think, not like all those surplus things.

I hope that helps somebody.

cheers

rambinator