Adding a pitch bend wheel to a MIDI-enabled organ? Ideas, Circuits, Parts?

nerdgal

Hi -

I'm new to this, sorry if it's not the right place to ask this, but would like to add a pitch bend wheel to a basic organ that doesn't have one. It has MIDI in and out 5-pin DIN sockets. I was told that one would first have to generate a pitch bend command, plus combine it with the existing keyboard's signal information, resulting in the pitch bend command stream coming from the new circuit, being able to modify the resulting audio signal from the keyboard. While it may not be really easy nor cost effective, still, I bet I will learn a lot from giving it a try. Any ideas on circuits, how to go about this, parts sources for things such as the dual spring-loaded pitch bend knob and potentiometer unit, or possibly even some kits or modules which could form part of this?

Thanks very much!

• 4 weeks later...

I would also like to know of anywhere I could pick up some spring loaded pitch bend wheel assemblies, or even just a suitable, edge mounting, plastic knob which could serve the purpouse. I would also like to know where I can get larger format, low profile "jog wheel" type knobs with dimples/recesses for easier turning.

• 1 year later...