Newb needs to understand "grounding"

Slorrin

I am a total newb, i took digital electronics in highschool, and we didn't do much with grounding.  Mostly we built complex AND machines..

anyhow.. i have some DIY projects, and they show on their schematics a symbol that i recognize to be "ground"... you know ,the bar with the little horizontal lines of decreasing size.

But.. what does that mean?  What do i connect it to?  I know from my radio history that there was a wire connected to the solid ground at one stage.  ANd that a grounded pin in a 3 prong plug is connected to a wire that generally leads to an underground water mane.

But in a small guitar FX pedal, whare is the ground, especially since it's battery powered?  I looked at the PCB inside, and all the "Grounds" are just running into the PCB.  They are not connected to the metal chasis or anything.  It leads me to ask... how are they "Grounded" and when i have circuits that require me to "Ground" things, with a 9V batter power supply.. how am i grounding them?  clearly not with a large metal mass...

there are no wires connected to the chasis directly, i must stress that.

Is the ground just the negative side of the battery?  i have seen circuits drawn substituting the cells with a + and gnd terminal... is that what it means? ... in this instance?

i just don't want to blow any of my parts apart, and i just don't know enough..

thanks

• 1 year later...
You'll need to connect only single ground connection, it should be a common reference point of the circuit, remember.

Old post moebius.

For all MidiBoxes GND is at pin 2 of the 7805 voltage regulator of the core module.

My question is what do you do with pin 2 of the 7805 voltage regulator? Is that where you connect "something" to? I still don't get it. Vs is ground for the rest of the boards right? So do you connect "something" to pin 2 of voltage regulator and that ground travels thru the rest of the board down the vs connectors?

have a look at http://www.ucapps.de/mbhp/mbhp_core_v3.pdf

The Vs (ground) is connected from Pin 2 of the Voltage Regulator to J2 and the rest of the ground points will run back to that.

I know from my radio history that there was a wire connected to the solid ground at one stage.

They still do, if you are building a full blown studio then this is probably the most important 1st step, I've seen people rebuild thier studios cause they missed this step.

And ask SmashTV about Radio Towers spitting out volts to ground he knows all about that 1st hand....

Thanks for the reply david. You've been alot of help these last few days. Do I just leave J2 open I.E don't even worry about it  ;) and then "everything" "goes" to J2 on the pcb layout/design. If thats the case, props to smash.  :-* So to put it anymore bluntly, I don't have to wire anything to ground because pin 2 of the regulator is going to J2 and J2 goes to every Vs on the board which in turn goes to every other board that is connected to the core. Right??? I know I need to still connect the vs pins to all my buttons,encoders and leds. I just wasn't sure about the main ground point.

Thanks for the reply david. You've been alot of help these last few days.

my pleasure! glad I'm helping.....

yes - you got it! If you are using smashTV boards you don't need to worry, everything is connected to the ground where it needs to be and you'll see the Vs point on the various J connectors.

one bit of advice, don't mix and match digital and analoge ins - i..e don't wire a DINX4's ground to an AINX4 ground....